Honored Contributor

Re: WILLIAM HOLDEN, KIM NOVAK, "PICNIC" TCM 10:00 P.M. EASTERN MONDAY

I posted on another forum about Picnic so if I repeat myself, forgive me!!

Picnic is on my top favorite movie list, very much at the topl  I saw it in the movies at a young age when it was released  with my aunt and loved it and in fact went with two girlfriends  to see it again.  

Everyone in the cast is superb.  I especially love Rosalind Russell's role and thought it Oscar worthy.  Susan Strasberg was wonderful too.  The dance scene between Holden and  Novak is the sexiest love scene in my opinion, all done without taking clothes off and showing a thing to put it simply!!!!  It still sets my heart on fire!!!!! Holden couldn't dance so he had a few drinks to help him and much of the dance scene was shown from their waists up. It worked for me!

The music is spectacular and I have the original sound track .  I also have Moonglow and the Theme from Picnic done by different instrumentalists and a few singers on CD's.  I believe the music played a big part in Picnic and enhanced every scene.

I also have a poster of Novak and Holden in the dance scene which is hanging up in

my room.  

I have seen this movie so many times, the script is in my head.  By the way my girlfriends who went to the movies with me to see Picnic didn't care for it at all.  But they are still my friends despite that fact, LOL !!!!!!

Honored Contributor

One of my all-time faves!  Unlike Roger Ebert, I think the footage documenting a quintessentially small-town American picnic is one of the best things I have ever seen in my entire life.  Truly, I do.  Director Joshua Logan had feelers that covered it all.  He left nothing out when he recorded the unmatched experience of the picnic in small-town America circa 1950s.

Perhaps it is because I grew up in a wonderful small town (sadly, it is no longer), but I choose to think that the footage of the pie-eating contests, three-legged races, a young boy stuffing himself to sickness, concerts with amateurs singing off-key, etc., are part of the fabric of our American life.  At least they once were.  Crying babies, old ladies finding friendship with one another (ladies left behind by death or betrayal of spouses).  Logan includes it all.

I become highly nostalgic every time I watch this film.  Same for It's a Wonderful Life.  Roz Russell's interpretation of a schoolmarm desperate to get hitched is precious beyond value.  And, of course, I could identify with Susan Strasberg's portrayal of the kid sister who could not wait to leave behind that stifling small town.  (When we are young, we do not know much, do we?)

Honored Contributor

@spiderw,  what a wonderful "back story" to your lifelong enthusiasm for this rich, wonderful cinema experience!

People seem to resonate with this film.   As you enumerate, it has so much to offer, and rewards multiple viewings.

Honored Contributor

Oh, Goldie, well said.  I love that "sense of place" that so permeate this film, and you are right, Josh Logan is the perfect interpreter for Inge's play...

Valued Contributor

This movie really does do a great job at portraying small town America. It can make me nostalgic watching it. I didn't grow up in the 1950's but I do remember when I was a little girl that small town America was alive and well but now....not so much unfortunately.

Anyway, fellow "Picnic" fans @Oznell @golding76 @spiderw @Big Joanie @kaydee50 @deepwaterdotter @Serena11 @Sweet_Serenity @OKPrincess I have a question for you - did Kim Novak's character do the right thing at the end of the movie by getting on a bus to go after William Holden's character? When I first saw the movie on TV 30 or more years ago I thought yes. Now, I have to say I don't think she should have been so rash as to run off and go after him. Your thoughts?

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

Yes, this is a well cast movie.  I'm disappointed Network wasn't on (or did I miss it???).  I think WH was great in that movie.

Network is on after Picnic.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cimeranrose 

Remember the year 1956 rebellion or shall we say coming of age often seen in Hollywood movies. Hormones raging, No surprise she followed him. 

Honored Contributor

@cimeranrose wrote:

This movie really does do a great job at portraying small town America. It can make me nostalgic watching it. I didn't grow up in the 1950's but I do remember when I was a little girl that small town America was alive and well but now....not so much unfortunately.

Anyway, fellow "Picnic" fans @Oznell @golding76 @spiderw@Big Joanie @kaydee50 @deepwaterdotter@Serena Sue @Sweet_Serenity @OKPrincess I have a question for you - did Kim Novak's character do the right thing at the end of the movie by getting on a bus to go after William Holden's character? When I first saw the movie on TV 30 or more years ago I thought yes. Now, I have to say I don't think she should have been so rash as to run off and go after him. Your thoughts?

@cimeranrose

I think she was right to do so.  No matter how it would have ended for them, she would always have regretted not going after him.  

I wasn't going to watch tonight since I'd seen it just recently, but now I think I have to see it again.

It is a great favorite.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@spiderw wrote:

"The music is spectacular and I have the original sound track .  I also have Moonglow and the Theme from Picnic done by different instrumentalists and a few singers on CD's.  I believe the music played a big part in Picnic and enhanced every scene."

-----------------

Absolutely agree!!!  I love this movie and the music just intensifies the story!!  I also have the music on tracks.   

I will always remember my father puttering out the notes of 'Moonglow' on the family piano while waiting

for my mother to get ready to go out!!  (Seems he was always ready before she was.... Smiley Happy  Have always liked William Holden and Kim Novak!!

Honored Contributor

@cimeranrose 

Yes, Watching again you'll view fresh eyes. That's how it is with me. No matter how many times see movie. Magically something stands out. Beauty of the movies. Especially! Old Hollywood movies. Trained actors. Woman Happy