Respected Contributor

Re: WHERE THE BOYS ARE (1960)

@Shelbelle   During that time, it was very unusual to bring rape charges.  It would ruin the girl's reputation.  It was a "silent" crime for the most part.  The girl was, always, portrayed as "asking" for it because of how she dressed, etc.  It has changed but not by much in this day and age, if a woman brings charges of rape, she exposes herself, her past and her actions to be questioned and her character to be destroyed.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

That movie is a time capsule for what was life in the early 1960's.

Girls wore skirts to class, including college. Remember the opening scenes when the girls were at their northern college?   Even during a driving snow storm, they wore skirts! 

Kids had to scrimp to afford a few days in FL and slept on hotel room floors if necessary.   Today, parents pay for trips to lavish resorts.  Back then no boys and girls sharing rooms!   

Kids hitch hiked!  The Jim Hutton character did it!  It was an accepted way to gain transportation.  Not today!  

Times were so innocent. 

Trusted Contributor

I remember seeing Where the Boys Are At the movies and loved it. I can watch it over whenever it is on so I am sorry that I missed it. George Hamilton looked so good there  when he wrote in the sand the question mark and Dolores Hart answered. I had never seen him before. That was a good scene.  They showed some good old movies.  I just watched The Mating Game and Debbie Reynolds was so pretty in that one and I also enjoyed The Tender Trap.  Can't believe how old these movies are and how old I am. Where did the time go!

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

Were we to assume that Melanie was not going to press any charges on the guy who assaulted her, of course he would say it was consentual, she had fallen for the guy saying he was a Yalie, as she put it!

Hi @Shelbelle 

The guy who raped her wasn't the one she fell for.  She had already had consensual sex with him (Dill) earlier, and made the date to meet him in that motel room again.  I think she was expecting a proposal.

But it was one of Dill's buddies who showed up instead (that's why she said "oh, no!), and thought he was entitled to have sex with her because Dill had already done so.  At least, that was the impression I got as to the entitlement.

If Dill had shown up, she would have been happy.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

Were we to assume that Melanie was not going to press any charges on the guy who assaulted her, of course he would say it was consentual, she had fallen for the guy saying he was a Yalie, as she put it!

Hi @Shelbelle 

The guy who raped her wasn't the one she fell for.  She had already had consensual sex with him (Dill) earlier, and made the date to meet him in that motel room again.  I think she was expecting a proposal.

But it was one of Dill's buddies who showed up instead (that's why she said "oh, no!), and thought he was entitled to have sex with her because Dill had already done so.  At least, that was the impression I got as to the entitlement.

If Dill had shown up, she would have been happy.

Yes, and she thought they were Yalies, so sad!! She was so taken with these guys. 

Honored Contributor

Sorry, I meant "he" thought he was entitled, not that she thought so.

@Shelbelle 

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.