Honored Contributor

So sorry this was on yesterday and I didn't know ahead of time.  It was only by chance that I caught it (missed the very beginning, too).

Does anyone remember this 1960 movie with Dolores Hart, Yvette Mimieux, Connie Francis, Paula Prentiss, George Hamilton, Frank Gorshin, Jim Hutton?

Four Midwestern college girls are in Ft. Lauderdale for spring break, looking for fun and romance.  

There were a few things that stood out to me for different reasons that didn't when I first saw this many years ago.  

- The local police were very enlightened.  Their chief told them to maintain a sense of humor, that the kids were future voters, and to treat them as well as possible.  

- The dresses were a frothy assortment of very fitted bodices with very full skirts.  Adorable to see.

- This was Connie Francis's first movie.

- Poor Yvette Mimieux's character was assaulted. 

- The other girls were surprisingly mature in attitude and appeared to weigh their decisions carefully.

- Barbara Nichols while underwater bears a striking resemblance to Esther Williams.

- This is perhaps trivia - Dolores Hart wasn't fulfilled by acting and eventually entered a nunnery.

Dolores Hart, Connie Francis, Yvette Mimieux, Paula Prentiss

Image result for where the boys are movie

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Re: WHERE THE BOYS ARE (1960)

Who could forgret it, been watching it over and over since 1960. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's one of my favorite movies. I wish I knew it was on.  I watched it every year before I went to Florida for spring break. What great memories!  I also loved Elvis Presley in Girl Happy....another spring break movie if I recall correctly.

Respected Contributor

I do remember the movie.  Loved it.  Connie Francis was raped in her hotel room a few years later. She was never the same after.  She was my favorite. 

Trusted Contributor

My goodness!   I haven't thought about that movie in over 50 years!  Love that movie!  I first watched it as a little girl as it was airing on the late, late, late show and my mom was up folding clothes watching it and I awoke and snuck into the living room and mom let me stay up and watch with her.  I often would do that, unlike my other 4 siblings, and it was always a special moment I would have with my mom.  I'm actually sobbing a bit as I'm remembering - miss you mom.

Thank you for allowing me to take a stroll down memory lane.  The world was a COMPLETELY different place back then.  

Honored Contributor

I loved that movie!  I would have watched if I'd known it was on.  I loved the song, too.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I too love that movie!

Have watched it many times.

They were all so perfect in their roles.

I think Dolores Hart is so beautiful.

Yvette Mimieux too. She's got the kind of face you can just keep watching.

And that song!

(I used to sing it-when no one was around of courseSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Read more comments about it in the thread from yesterday about TCM.

Jim Hutton was so cute, sadly he passed away at age 45, he and Paula Prentiss made 5 movies together.  And we all know Delores Hart became a nun!!

Contributor

A very lovely movie. One of my favorites. 

Honored Contributor

I watched it and also have the DVD .  It is such a spring break movie and for the times a big hit.  Of course it is dated now but that doesn't matter to me at all, I still enjoy every minute of it, all the fashions of the times, the fun and games mixed in with moral lessons!  For me it is an escape movie to good times and memories.

There is also another favorite of mine which is similar and is called Palm Springs Weekend with Connie Stevens, Robert Conrad, Stephanie Powers and others.  This too is a spring break movie which I always enjoy.  Both movies came out in the early sixties.