Honored Contributor

Re: WHAT BOOK WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE MADE INTO A FILM?

@Oznell 

@Oznell wrote:

@Foxxee,  good point about the actual Nancy Drew character, as opposed to how she was portrayed on film.  At the time I was reading teen mysteries,  I liked her too, but she may have been a little too sophisticated, with her independence, her little "roadster" and boyfriend ("Ned"?), for me to fully appreciate at about 11 or 12...  What did you think of Bonita Granville's portrayal.  I like her as an actress, but can't remember much about those early movies....

@Oznell 

I thought she was portrayed as a bit ditsy and hyper. Agree with you, not the sophisticated level headed youth I remember in the early books.    

I

Honored Contributor

@Oznell -

First read about Louise Penney's absorbing series on here.

And I got it wrong-Inspector Gamache (though Ganache does sound good too lol!)

You can read all about this wonderful series on Amazon.I haven't read her last 2 or 3 books. I think there are 17 now.

Still Life: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel (A Chief Inspector Gamache Mystery Book 1) by [Louise Penny]

This was her first book in the series.

Winner of the New Blood Dagger, Arthur Ellis, Barry, Anthony, and Dilys awards.

"Chief Inspector Armand Gamache of the Surêté du Québec and his team of investigators are called in to the scene of a suspicious death in a rural village south of Montreal. Jane Neal, a local fixture in the tiny hamlet of Three Pines, just north of the U.S. border, has been found dead in the woods. The locals are certain it's a tragic hunting accident and nothing more, but Gamache smells something foul in these remote woods, and is soon certain that Jane Neal died at the hands of someone much more sinister than a careless bowhunter.
Still Life introduces not only an engaging series hero in Inspector Gamache, who commands his forces---and this series---with integrity and quiet courage, but also a winning and talented new writer of traditional mysteries in the person of Louise Penny."

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

The Book of Lost Friends 

I think this could be a powerful movie if done right- different generations, different ideas, history, and suspense. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@Oznell -

First read about Louise Penney's absorbing series on here.

And I got it wrong-Inspector Gamache (though Ganache does sound good too lol!)

You can read all about this wonderful series on Amazon.I haven't read her last 2 or 3 books. I think there are 17 now.

Still Life: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel (A Chief Inspector Gamache Mystery Book 1) by [Louise Penny]

This was her first book in the series.

Winner of the New Blood Dagger, Arthur Ellis, Barry, Anthony, and Dilys awards.

"Chief Inspector Armand Gamache of the Surêté du Québec and his team of investigators are called in to the scene of a suspicious death in a rural village south of Montreal. Jane Neal, a local fixture in the tiny hamlet of Three Pines, just north of the U.S. border, has been found dead in the woods. The locals are certain it's a tragic hunting accident and nothing more, but Gamache smells something foul in these remote woods, and is soon certain that Jane Neal died at the hands of someone much more sinister than a careless bowhunter.
Still Life introduces not only an engaging series hero in Inspector Gamache, who commands his forces---and this series---with integrity and quiet courage, but also a winning and talented new writer of traditional mysteries in the person of Louise Penny."

There is a movie of Still Life - you can watch it if you have Acorn TV. I didn't care for the casting. I think that is one of the most difficult things when you make popular books into a movie or series. For example Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher - ugh!

Honored Contributor

'Later', by Stephen King.

Honored Contributor

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks.  

Done again.

Oprah produced and *starred* in the movie.

But didn't portray Henrietta, as the book did.

Some fine actress(es) could play her from childhood up to her death and give her story the justice it deserves.

I'm so surprised OW didn't follow through with such an amazing book, such a heart-wrenching story. 

It was a flop.  JMO

The book is my number one favorite.  When I started reading it, I didn't stop.  I stood at the stove and read while I cooked dinner.  My husband said goodnight and later good morning.  I was still reading.  When I finished reading it, I started from the beginning again.

Honored Contributor

So fun to be reminded of childhood favorites like Trixie Belden. The Dana Girls (boarding school) and Cherry Ames (a nurse) also had a series of books. Nancy Drew was my favorite, but the only screen version I liked was the TV show with Pamela Sue Martin playing Nancy. I also think a movie geared to the very young featuring that crazy maid Amelia Bedelia would be very cute. I read those books in grade school!

Honored Contributor

If we are talking children's books, I vote for Enid Blyton's series about The Five, starting with Five on a Treasure Island.  

Contributor

@on the bay   I would love that!!  I discovered by accident Still Life on Acorn (I think).  Nathaniel Parker played Gamache.  I don't understand why there haven't been more.

Just pre-ordered her new book coming out in August! 

Honored Contributor

@PhoebeDragon1 

Oh wow! Thank you so much!

I didn't know there was a movie about it! 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"