Respected Contributor

Re: WEST SIDE STORY !! (new)

I've only watched part of it so far and I plan on finishing it but I'm wondering why he felt he needed to remake this movie.   I feel some of the scenes are just stilted.

Honored Contributor

@lovescats,"stilted," yes that's a good word to describe a lot of the scenes.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

the original from 1961 is on hbo max it will show after you click the new one under shows like this

Trusted Contributor

I thought the new one was good not great.  I thought the girl that played Maria was excellent.  I have to agree with many that the guy cast as Tony was wrong. He was an Ok singer but he looked like a current preppy guy and didn't have any charisma.  I am surprised with all they had to chose from the picked him.  I loved the colors and the sets. 

Honored Contributor

I just watched this film, I enjoyed it and it is very faithful to the original. Now, if you have never seen the original you would think this was wonderful, I have seen the original and maybe it isn't fair to make comparisons but this remake can't hold a candle to the original. Now I know people thought Natalie Wood was miscast and she and Richard Beymer singing was dubbed, but I don't care. You can't improve on Miss Rita Moreno as Anita, she had a nice sizable role in the new film written just for her and was wonderful. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The original was sheer perfection, i prefer to remember that one. The actress who played Anita won a SAG award last week. Original won at least 10 Oscars, lets see how many this one wins. 

Honored Contributor

Sometimes I lay awake at night wondering what happened to Maria after the love of her life Tony ( who she knew for a little over a day at the ripe old of of 18) was murdered? I think Maria was pregnant with Tony's child after sleeping with him once and went back to Puerto Rico with Anita both having had their fill of NYC. She raises her son as a single mom with Anita's help!