Honored Contributor

Re: WEST SIDE STORY !! (new)

I'm staying pretty close to home, but I'd love to see it on the big screen after reading this thread.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Although I feel certain I will not love this new version as much as I do the original, I have a keen interest in seeing it.   However, if I am unable to view this from my home, I won't be able to enjoy it.  Not going into any theaters yet.

My, how life has changed...

Trusted Contributor

@CJC wrote:
Only one version for me, 1961. Not interested in all the politically correct remake versions of classic films.

I think you might be surprised!  Saw it today and it wasn't as PC as you might think. It was a very good remake and the young actors did a fabulous job. It's worth a trip to the theater to see if you like musicals.

Honored Contributor

I saw this yesterday. It was my first time back in the theater. We have lounge seating in ours and it wasn't crowded. The seats are spread out, and there was no one to my right. Most people wore masks to their seats then took them off. Since I had popcorn, I did too!

Now the movie- I'm usually not a fan of remakes, but this was fantastic! There were a few changes. They did keep it in the same time period as the original. It was SO good to see Rita Moreno as Valentina, who owned the drug store. This was a change from the original, when Doc owned the store. They got around it by saying she was Doc's widow, and at one point in the movie she looks at a picture of the two of them. Rita, at the age of 90 had a "meaty" part and was also executive producer! 

The two leads were so good. Rachel Zegler auditioned as one of 30,000 girls and got the part. She had had mostly local community theater experience, including playing Maria.

I thought Ansel Elgort, who plays Tony, is underrated. He has a great singing voice. When he walks, runs, and climbs while singing "Maria" I was sure he was lip syncing to his own voice. He wasn't. He specifically asked that he be filmed while singing live. Most of the articles I've read haven't singled him out. I thought he was perfect for the part.

The other actors were all good too, down to Josh Andres Rivera, who played Chino so believably. Others have already been mentioned here.

I really enjoyed it. It's one sequel I will see again!

*** Rachel Zegler has been cast to play Snow White in Disney's upcoming live action movie.

Some of the original "Jets" play the older gentlemen in the park bench/flower dance scene in Disney's Enchanted. (That's a favorite movie around here! Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

I haven't seen it yet, but I read that in not translating the Spanish (out of respect), people who don't speak Spanish missed some things - like characters discussing concern for colorism among the Puerto Ricans etc. 

This is particularly interesting since one of the main objections to the original was that white folks played Puerto Ricans and lighter Puerto Ricans were favored.

What do those who saw it think?

Contributor

@Isobel Archer, in each scene where Spanish was spoken, someone would say "speak English" (usually Anita). I did take Spanish for a couple of years in college so I could pick up some of what they were saying but I would say that anyone who was following the movie/story could pretty much figure out the gist of what they were saying. This only occurred in a few scenes.

Honored Contributor

Sadly, this movie is not doing well in the making money dept. I read it had a very low opening weekend and has continued to decline. Spielberg will not be recouping his investment on this one at least not now at the box office. The article went on to say not to totally blame Covid, said the remake of an older musical just didnt attract a large enough audience. The article also gave the actor who is Tony a terrible review. The original still does it for me, tried and true!!!

Honored Contributor

In case anyone is interested this movie starts streaming tomorrow on HBO MAX and Disney+. I have looked forward to seeing this since I first saw the promo for it. 

Valued Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

In case anyone is interested this movie starts streaming tomorrow on HBO MAX and Disney+. I have looked forward to seeing this since I first saw the promo for it. 

Thank you @Jordan2 !  I'm very interested in seeing it. I'm sorry I missed it when it was playing in the theaters.  I had dug in my heels earlier when I heard they were doing a reboot. As a purist and someone who can still sing and recite the original motion picture soundtrack album from beginning to end, I wanted no part of it. However I recently watched the scene online where they are walking into the gym for the dance and was completely blown away by the cinematography.  Stephen Spielberg really knows how to make an insanely entertaining movie!  I am so looking forward to this!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am watching it now and I'm surprised how much I don't like it.

My daughter didn't either.

I do think Maria was pretty good.

I wasn't really interested in seeing the story again (yes, it is wonderful but sad and I know it by heart).

I just don't think any of the actors were very good. Maria was the best of them all.

It was kind of great to see Rita Moreno but again kind of sad and just made me wish I was watching the original. Marni Nixon singing Tonight for Natalie Wood's Maria-nothing like it. Just cannot be topped.The dances just seemed kind of contrived-like lets stick a dance in here. It just seemed awkward and not authentic.

I'm surprised so many here liked it so much. I feel like maybe I just wasn't in the right mood, but probably not.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"