Honored Contributor

OMG!  People!  So I started at the beginning then I got confused and I started at the end so technically I guess eventually I'll meet in the middle.

These people are all nuts.  Seeing all those white/blonde haired people remind of my granddaughter.  She has white/blonde hair to her waist.

But my daughter just sent me a picture where she got it cut and the hair underneath is a pretty blue color longer and about 2 inches shorter is the natural white color.

It is called "peek a boo".  This daughter's sisters ( my other 2 daughters) are flipping out.

"Mom!  You'd never let us do that".  True, but I'm not this kid's mother.  This kid is suffering because her parents are going thru a divorce.

Anyway, what do I know about models?  That kid is cute and would have been good in a Benetton or Old Navy add...that's it.

The parents are nuts.  What are they doing on a 'realty TV show?

Honored Contributor

Re: WELCOME TO PLATHVILLE

[ Edited ]

@colliemom4 Yes, and after reviewing that book and their beliefs on discipling your child I realize what courage it took and how lucky the children are who left the family.  And, yes, the Duggar's use the same group's beliefs.  

@colliemom4 wrote:

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@colliemom4   It is a fundamentalist Christian group called No Greater Joy. I believe it is Michael and Debbi Pearl who are the leaders.  

@phoenixbrd  I know the Duggar's promote all of these people. The Pearls wrote a book on how to train children which the Duggar's use as their guide for raising their own children. I assume the Plath's follow the same teachings. They may have their own home church, but meet up with others at events where they get to know each other and try to arrange future marriages etc.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

I didn't watch this last season, but last night, I watched the last episode of last season and the new season, episode 1 which began last night.

The parents are controlling, manipulative and oppressive, unbelievable!  The Mother is always whining how she is misunderstood, i.e., the victim, it is always someone else's fault, totally dismissing how awful she was to Olivia and saying she was misunderstood, BS, and that weird Father standing around with that idiotic grin.  I was proud of Ethan for finally standing up to them, and when he said to his Mother, "you are the neck that turns his (the Father) head, we all know that."

I feel sorry for Lidia, she seems to be suffering over the Ethan/Olivia situation.

I feel really bad for Ehtan, he is so miserable and depressed.  He use to be so happy.  It is really bothering  him not seeing his siblings.  Those parents are a piece of work.  The dad shows no emotion.  Last season Ethan was so mad and the dad had no emotion whatsoever. He never validated Ethan's feelings.  The mom is even worse. She decided that if Ehtan did not want to see her he could not see his siblings.  The kids all seem very nice.  Lidia is so sweet. The parents are awful.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunshine 919   I agree with your assessments.  if you read about the parets fundamentalist beliefs (No Greater Joy) it explains a lot about the dynamics of this family.

Honored Contributor

I'd say the odds are against Olivia and Ethan staying together. They are too different and want totally different things. In addition to that they both come from abusive controlling families. I don't think Kim would like anyone Ethan decided to marry.

The Plath's have an older daughter that is married and obviously not on the show. She's a professional violinist and lives in another state. She had a baby recently so now the Plath's are grandparents as well. The entire family sings and many play instruments though listening to them and seeing them perform is odd IMO.

Respected Contributor

We have to admit they produced beautiful children; the second oldest boy is more than handsome and the older daughters are both so beautiful as the younger ones will probably be.

The older son stood up to his parents all right and I have no doubt they had it coming. However, no matter the case, I will never approve of anyone shaking a  finger in someone's face as he did.  And the stupid look on the husband's face was even worse.  He is real wimp who is afraid of disagreeing with his wife. But I know a few men who thrive on that kind of rerlationship.

If they still follow Bill Gothard, they really need some serious help. 

Honored Contributor

@HiLo wrote:

We have to admit they produced beautiful children; the second oldest boy is more than handsome and the older daughters are both so beautiful as the younger ones will probably be.

The older son stood up to his parents all right and I have no doubt they had it coming. However, no matter the case, I will never approve of anyone shaking a  finger in someone's face as he did.  And the stupid look on the husband's face was even worse.  He is real wimp who is afraid of disagreeing with his wife. But I know a few men who thrive on that kind of rerlationship.

If they still follow Bill Gothard, they really need some serious help. 

@HiLo  The kids are beautiful. Kim and Barry are both college educated yet don't want the kids to go to public school much less a university. Kim was a music major so I assume she taught the kids all they know about music, and since her oldest daughter has had success being a professional violinist she feels it proves her point. I thought it was cruel of her take Moriah to a college and let her tour it only to let her know she wouldn't be attending it. This was in a prior season.

Honored Contributor

I wonder why they moved from the farm house and also what does the dad do for a living/  He is so strange and the mom just seems to have issues with listening to anybody.  I am surprised that Moriah can visit with her boyfriend.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've watched from the beginning.

I wanted to point out that there was a young son that died when Kim backed out of the driveway.  This was discussed a few times in the prior season.

I just googled this and it said his name was Josh and he was 17 months old and he was injured in a farming accident. However, Kim said that she ran him over and I remember this very well. Extremely sad and Kim had tears in her eyes when she shared this story.

This family gives me the creeps. Just like many of these ultra conservative fanatical families, the children are not educated well and fall far behind their peers.

I thought the state requires specific educational programs and regular reporting.

Again, I am not sure as each state could run differently.

The issue with these families (as in the case of the Duggars), they marry very early just so they could have sex, or even kiss.  The Duggars require side hugs. Josh Duggar, with all his illegal behavior, I still feel that he learned this behavior from someone. Perhaps, the dad, Jim Bob as he strikes me as peculiar.

The Plath father, Barry is extremely odd. Didn't they say that they (Kim & Barry) had premarital sex and did drugs before changing their lifestyle?

Mica is indeed good looking as well as his sister, Moriah with the boyfriend. She has thinner hair so I think the black underneath are hair extentions that I don't think look that great. However, she is very pretty. I do like the fact that Moriah and her boyfriend kiss at the table. At least, the younger kids will see affection.

Lydia apparently texted a male friend 165 times one day and Kim actually counted. Lydia is 17 and probably will be exiting the household very soon (hopefully) without the prayer closet.

Ethan and his wife obviously want to live in different areas which would present a problem for any young couple. However, it was noted that Olivia stated that Ethan and she were still together (recently). I think TLC wants to show more drama.

Many of us don't necessarily come from the best families like myself. However, my family is very sane compared to this family. OMG!

Honored Contributor

@sunshine 919 wrote:

I wonder why they moved from the farm house and also what does the dad do for a living/  He is so strange and the mom just seems to have issues with listening to anybody.  I am surprised that Moriah can visit with her boyfriend.

@sunshine 919  He's a transportation planner and works in a bigger town in Florida. They are in Georgia but live near Florida. I'm not certain what the particular job entails.

I don't know why they left the farm, but they have it for rent for vacationers. I'm not certain how many seasons you've watched, but Kim's talked about being an only child and living with her neglectful alcoholic mom. She also said she partied a lot and didn't want her kids doing it. She thinks having one drink is evil due to her experiences. Regardless of her background I stil don't like her. She and the dad are both brainwashed weirdos.

Moriah took off as a teen because she always felt like the black sheep of the family and her strained relationship with her mom. I'm surprised they allow her and her boyfriend to be a part of their family but maybe it's because of the fall out with Ethan and Olivia.