Honored Contributor

I didn't watch this last season, but last night, I watched the last episode of last season and the new season, episode 1 which began last night.

The parents are controlling, manipulative and oppressive, unbelievable!  The Mother is always whining how she is misunderstood, i.e., the victim, it is always someone else's fault, totally dismissing how awful she was to Olivia and saying she was misunderstood, BS, and that weird Father standing around with that idiotic grin.  I was proud of Ethan for finally standing up to them, and when he said to his Mother, "you are the neck that turns his (the Father) head, we all know that."

I feel sorry for Lidia, she seems to be suffering over the Ethan/Olivia situation.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl  I've watched all of the seasons. Go back and watch if you get the chance. I don't totally buy the story they are selling about how sheltered the kids are yet the next minute you see them on a cell phone. They are obviously brainwashed which is sad.

I can't stand Kim, and the dad does have a goofy grin on his face that I'd like to slap off. I've read that Kim has been obsessed with fame for quite a while and is the one that wanted to family to get their own show. The Plath's run in the same circles the Duggar's do. They believe women are basically born to serve men and have a million kids etc.

I've read that Olivia comes from the same type of background but read conflicting stories on whether or not she's cut ties with her family.

I really liked the windows in the home they were in last night. They own some nice properties.

Respected Contributor

I watched last season. I thought it strange that they want this sheltered life for their family, but they didn't have a problem contacting TLC about being on tv. 
And their kids can access the "evil" outside world with their phones. 

Valued Contributor

I watched a couple of episodes, but I found it to be creepy and bizarre.

Honored Contributor

@deeva wrote:

I watched last season. I thought it strange that they want this sheltered life for their family, but they didn't have a problem contacting TLC about being on tv. 
And their kids can access the "evil" outside world with their phones. 

@deeva   Kim said last night that the kids don't have phones and a lot of other things, but of course the three who left do now.

Esteemed Contributor

The father gives me the creeps as does the  father of the other family that used to be on TV.  Kim runs the show and is evil.

Honored Contributor

Re: WELCOME TO PLATHVILLE

[ Edited ]

I was curious about the fundamentalist religion the parents in Wellcome to Plathville belonged to and did some research ....the show reflects the beliefs (No Greater Joy).

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

I was curious about the fundamentalist religion the parents in belonged to....the show reflects the beliefs.

@phoenixbrd  I'm not certain, but probably Independent Baptist. They follow the teachings of a man named Bill Gothard. There is a small group of followers, but the families usually have many children. This Gothard guy is a real creep and has of course been accused of inappropriate sexual behavior.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@colliemom4   It is a fundamentalist Christian group called No Greater Joy. I believe it is Michael and Debbi Pearl who are the leaders.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@colliemom4   It is a fundamentalist Christian group called No Greater Joy. I believe it is Michael and Debbi Pearl who are the leaders.  

@phoenixbrd  I know the Duggar's promote all of these people. The Pearls wrote a book on how to train children which the Duggar's use as their guide for raising their own children. I assume the Plath's follow the same teachings. They may have their own home church, but meet up with others at events where they get to know each other and try to arrange future marriages etc.