Honored Contributor

WEEKLY TV DRAMA SERIES OF THE 1950'S, ETC.

Through the years, beginning about five years ago, I have bought DVD sets, on ebay, of Studio 1, 4 Star Playhouse, Studio 57, Playhouse 90, The June Allyson Show, etc., etc., and am just getting around to watching them.

Such wonderful quality of acting as compared to now, drama at it's best,with such stars as JoanneWoodward, David Niven, Merle Oberon, Bette Davis, D--k Powell, and on and on..  I wonder if my Mother watched these weekly shows.

Honored Contributor

Re: WEEKLY TV DRAMA SERIES OF THE 1950'S, ETC.

What a super collection of shows, @mousiegirl .   I have always heard such great things about "Playhouse 90",  among others.

Love vintage TV--  I"m always a bit surprised that those who are looking for something good, and dissatisfied with much of the thin gruel on TV today, don't do what you've done.

Now, with winter settling in, you can look forward to some highly entertaining, cozy viewing ahead.

Respected Contributor

I get similar shows on my cable provider channel. Loretta Young, Four Star Plaza and Suspense. Also, other oldies (not drama's), Ozzie and Harriet, Life with Elizabeth and Love that Bob. 

Honored Contributor

@catter70 wrote:

I get similar shows on my cable provider channel. Loretta Young, Four Star Plaza and Suspense. Also, other oldies (not drama's), Ozzie and Harriet, Life with Elizabeth and Love that Bob. 

@catter70   I don't have a channel like that, you are lucky, so I had to buy those.  I found a seller who sells old series on dvd and one was Ozzie & Harriet which I bought, 385 episodes, there were originally over 400, never knew that, and many others from this seller and others, through the years.  I had recorded them on VHS decades ago when there was a channel showing so many, but can't seem to buy a VHS player that works for any amount of time, so am weeding those out in place of dvds.

Aside from Ozzie, two of my favorites are Our Miss Brooks and December Bride.  They come in paper sleeves, so do have to store them in large dvd wallets, they are called, amazon has them.

Honored Contributor

I was a young girl in the fifties and I remember most of the shows mentioned in this post.  Reading and watching TV, listening to music were daily entertainments.  There were so many great comedies and dramas with a variety of stars.  I agree about the acing being excellent and the sitcoms funny and light.  

I can understand enjoying the old shows.  The ones still on after all these decades continue to make me laugh and the dramas hold my interest.

Respected Contributor

@mousiegirl , if you get Antennna TV, they have older shows, too-Jack Benny, George and Gracie Allen, Bachelor Father, and Father Knows Best. They also have some a little newer, like Hazel and Dennis the Menace. Also, try Cozi TV, Decades TV and Me TV if available.

Honored Contributor

@catter70 wrote:

@mousiegirl , if you get Antennna TV, they have older shows, too-Jack Benny, George and Gracie Allen, Bachelor Father, and Father Knows Best. They also have some a little newer, like Hazel and Dennis the Menace. Also, try Cozi TV, Decades TV and Me TV if available.

@catter70 wrote:

@catter70   We no longer have Antennna TV, and I do watch the other channels, but I have the complete series of those you mentioned on dvd.  I just don't find much on tv to watch, have favorite shows, but prefer the oldies, and for comedic sitcoms, for me, Ozzie & Harriet is my favorite, still very funny after all of these years, and love their Christmas episodes.

I am currently enjoying the dramatic series in the evenings, as I mentioned in my first post, just the best, and I Married Joan in the day.  I like the Movies channel for film noir, but have a lot on dvd.

Mama's Family and Roseanne are my favorite comedies of the 80's, and for drama, Cagney and Lacey, which is now run from 3-4am, not a good time, but I bought the 40th anniversary edition of all episodes including the later movies.

I must say I am pretty well set for entertainment, lol, have a huge stash of movies collected through the years, including scary movies for the month of October, and Christmas movies.

Being an only child, and home for one year as I was on crutches so was home schooled for that year, is probably why I am such a tv buff, kept me company as my Mother worked.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@spiderw wrote:

I was a young girl in the fifties and I remember most of the shows mentioned in this post.  Reading and watching TV, listening to music were daily entertainments.  There were so many great comedies and dramas with a variety of stars.  I agree about the acing being excellent and the sitcoms funny and light.  

I can understand enjoying the old shows.  The ones still on after all these decades continue to make me laugh and the dramas hold my interest.

@spiderw   Yes, I am finding the dramatic series mesmerizing, great acting, proper grammar,difficult to find now.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@catter70 wrote:

There is also Retro TV. They show My Little Margie, Ozzie and Harriet, I Married Joan, Petticoat Junction, Life with Elizabeth, The Lucy Show, Beverly Hillbillies and The Private Secretary.

Plus lots of other old shows.

PS - There is also FE TV. They show Leave It To Beaver, Hazel, Bewitched and Beverly Hillbillies.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

@catter70 wrote:

There is also Retro TV. They show My Little Margie, Ozzie and Harriet, I Married Joan, Petticoat Junction, Life with Elizabeth, The Lucy Show, Beverly Hillbillies and The Private Secretary.

Plus lots of other old shows.

@drizzellla   I don't have that channel.  I have six of the shows you mentioned on dvd. Smiley Happy  I have been at this a long time, tracking down what I was interested in, and am still at it, every once in a while, but think I am done now for a while.  I watch what I am in the mood for on a particular day, and when I say watch,. the only time I actually sit and watch is in bed, during the day I have a dvd playing so mostly listen, glancing, though some one must watch such as I Married Joan to see the antics.

I am about to play some Life of Riley dvds as I putter around the kitchen.