Honored Contributor

WEEKEND ROMANCE/SUSPENSE AND FILM NOIR ON FMC AND TCM

Disclaimer--   Neither of these films have I seen, funnily enough!   But each holds a certain intrigue, at least from the descriptions and the people involved.  Probably worth recording.

MV5BM2VkNGNkMzQtNDgzMy00YjgwLTk4NjYtZDZiMGNjZWY5ZTE4L2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDM0NzcxMQ@@._V1_.jpg

Fox Movie Channel  Saturday, 9:20 a.m. Eastern: 

"Fraulein" (1958) --  Dana Wynter, Mel Ferrer, Dolores Michaels, Maggie Hayes, Theodore Bikel, Luis Van Rooten, Helmut Dantine, Herbert Berghof, James Edwards, Jack Kruschen

It's the waning days of World War II in Berlin, and the city is in chaos.  An American POW (Mel Ferrer) escapes the Germans, and a brave professor agrees to shelter him.  His reluctant daughter (Dana Wynter) does decide to help, hiding him from certain capture by the searching Nazis in their home.

The daughter, Erika, is swept up in the turbulent forces of the war-torn city, fleeing those who mean her harm, and meeting up with the love-struck American again...

FRAULEINLC8b.jpg

"Fraulein" sounded good to me, and I love both the elegant Dana Wynter AND Mel Ferrer (the ex-Mr. Audrey Hepburn.... I always wish he and she had patched it up-- such a sophisticated pair, and a stunning couple.)

I wonder if Theodore Bikel gets to sing in this?  Anyway, as I said, "sight unseen",  but if you're as tired as I am of TCM's constant recycling, it could be worth checking this out on FMC!  There's at least a potential for some novel escapist suspense.

And speaking of TCM, on "Noir Alley:

12:00 a.m. Eastern midnight Sunday, and 10:00 a.m. Eastern Sunday, TCM   --  

"Human Desire"--   Glenn Ford, Gloria Grahame, Broderick Crawford, Edgar Buchanan, Kathleen Case, Peggy Maley

MV5BMTEwNGJiN2QtODliNy00YTdlLTk0NTMtZTBmNjdkOGE0NDIzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzk3NTUwOQ@@._V1_.jpg

"Human Desire" is directed by Fritz Lang, which would be reason enough to see it, but also has a blockbuster noir cast.  Glenn Ford, Gloria Grahame and Broderick Crawford form the explosive romantic triangle.  

"Noir Alley"'s Eddie will have tons to unpack on this one, no doubt.

Honored Contributor

Re: WEEKEND ROMANCE/SUSPENSE AND FILM NOIR ON FMC AND TCM

Sound good-glad Noir Alley is back, too.

I've never see Dana Wynter as a blonde?? At least it looks blonde. The one in the pool has her hair wet and being a blonde I know it will be shades lighter when it dries. She's so pretty-why would she do that?

Thanks for this @Oznell 

Honored Contributor

I am straying from the subject a bit. Has anyone seen Eddie Muller recently? Is he now part of the witness protection program?

I tried and tried and did not recognise him.

Honored Contributor

That's funny, eagle-eyed @Judaline !   That's the first thing I noticed too--  that her hair looks lighter, sort of honey blonde or "sandy" at least.   She was so distinctly brunette in everything else I've seen her in, that this lighter look in "Fraulein" really struck me.

As we're more used to seeing her:

11859324783_4a70db2cb5_b.jpg

Hollywood was so literal though;  I wonder if they bought into the stereotype of Germans being blonde, so Dana Wynter had to be blonde, ha.  Even though tons of Germans have dark or black hair.

Dana Wynter's father was a British surgeon but with German heritage;  her mother was Hungarian.  Her real name was Dagmar, she was raised in Britain but spent time in Africa too...

@drizzellla,  that's interesting-- I did think "Noir Alley" was on hiatus during "summer under the stars" but thought it would be back on track by now.  Has it not started up again yet?  In that case, Sunday will be the debut program of the season, so Eddie should have a lot of pent-up energy!!  It's a shame TCM hasn't been utilizing him more than they do...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell  Guess we'll have to read Eddie's books. I intend to read Dark City one of these days, but my holds keep coming in at the library and I can't get caught up. Seems to me you read this?

You are right about the authenticity of being German/blonde. Brando did it in The Young Lions. That's one I didn't see twice, lol. It may have been true but as you said, not so much, now. Hey, Hitchcoc k didn't direct this film, did he? He was kind of nuts on having blonde heroines, lol.

Honored Contributor

Oh, ya, @Judaline --  my copy of "Dark City" is dog-eared from poring over it!   Piles and piles of fabulous photos, as well as Eddie's punchy prose.  One of the best books on film noir.  Highly recommend.

86e0dec6-bdb7-4339-a47e-b6beb8e34811.__CR0,0,1940,600_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg

Honored Contributor

@Oznell    Fritz Lang.....I'm in!

"Human Desire"--   Glenn Ford, Gloria Grahame, Broderick Crawford, Edgar Buchanan, Kathleen Case, Peggy Maley

MV5BMTEwNGJiN2QtODliNy00YTdlLTk0NTMtZTBmNjdkOGE0NDIzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzk3NTUwOQ@@._V1_.jpg

Honored Contributor

I love him too, @phoenixbrd --  he's probably my favorite noir director.  That said, I've always managed to miss this one!