Honored Contributor

WEDNESDAY IS LIV ULLMANN DAY ON TCM

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=est&sdate=2019-08-14

static.playbill.com.png

Having a TCM day devoted to the Norwegian actress was a bit of a surprise, but the fact that she is featured brings in some interesting films by her mentor/sweetheart, the great Swedish director Ingmar Bergman.  Not only that, but there is one film in which she collaborates brilliantly with him AND with the OTHER Bergman, Ingrid.

"The Emigrants" may be one of her most famous.  I seem to remember a string of films about Scandinavian pioneers struggling bleakly against huge odds to survive in the New World.  They may not be as lugubrious as I remember!

Then memorably,

"Autumn Sonata"--  9:45 p.m. Eastern.    Ingrid Bergman, Liv Ullmann, Erland Josephson, Lena Nyman

images.jpg

Directed in his intense, emotionally charged style by legendary director Ingmar Bergman.  Recipient of multiple Oscar nominations and wins.

Ingrid Bergman is a celebrated classical pianist who comes to visit her sacrificial daughter, (Liv Ullmann) who cares for her disabled sister in quiet circumstances.  Ingrid is expansive, vain and selfish, Liv simmers and remembers her childhood of seeming neglect.  Over the course of the visit, emotions erupt and grievances are aired.

It's typical Bergman (Ingmar, that is)--  profound, earnest and emotionally draining.  Top notch, though!  

Trusted Contributor

Re: WEDNESDAY IS LIV ULLMANN DAY ON TCM

Thank you for posting this!  I am a great fan of both Liv Ullmann and Bergman and am also of Swedish descent.  I will be watching for sure!

Honored Contributor

Oh, good, @Barbara in Virginia.  In that case, you might want to note that also on the schedule (linked above) is a documentary on Liv Ullmann and Ingmar Bergman and their life together.

Given your interest, you may also have noticed that Ingmar's great classic "Persona" is on in the wee hours, at 1:15 a.m. Eastern.  The one where a stricken actress retreats to her remote beach house and psychological upheavals ensue....

Honored Contributor

We liked Zandy's Bride when we first saw it. We still laugh about it today. I have no idea if I'd like it now! A time and place for everything they say.

Frequent Contributor

@Oznell, I just suffered through the musical remake of LOST HORIZON.  What...were...they...thinking????  Oh my stars this has to be the worst calculation ever -- and talk about wasting an excellent cast -- Liv included.   Just plain awful.  

I'm looking forward to AUTUMN SONATA.

Honored Contributor

Yeah, @antiquarian,. the whole thing just seemed so wrong.  And why do a remake, when the Frank Capra/ Ronald Colman one was so definitive?

Honored Contributor

While watching TCM the other day, I viewed Woody Allen's appreciation of Ingmar Bergman.  Despite Woody's cringe-worthy life, he presented an insightful understanding of the award-winning director whom he regards as the foremost talent in that field.

TCM mentioned Persona, which I promptly set up for recording, but I also added the upcoming piece on the relationship between Ullmann and Bergman.  Those two always fascinated me.

For some reason, Bergman spoke to the emerging adult me so many decades ago.  I recall my first husband used to remark that I was "the only person who could walk out of a Bergman film with a smile on her face."  I found that Bergman's sensitivity to life and its trying circumstances resonated with me.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Definitely, @Oznell  (Ronald Colman, sigh.....one of the great voices, along with Robert Donat, in movie history)

At least OLIVER!, as far as I'm concerned, wasn't an embarrassment to David Lean's 1948 film.  (I saw a stage version of the musical in Los Angeles with Ron Moody and went backstage to meet him.  He was in his underwear, changing costumes, lol.  Skinny legs, pleasant guy)

Trusted Contributor

I watched the Liv Ullmann films through Autumn Sonata.  Brilliant!  But then had to switch to something else as a little bit of Ingmar Bergman goes a long way with me.  So emotionally intense!  I will watch the others on TCM, probabaly one at a time.

I particularly enjoyed the two about Swedish emigrants and found the description of my Swedish ancestors daunting.  So much adversity to overcome and then so much eventual triumph!  My great grandfather was one of the founding fathers of Stanton, Iowa as well as its Lutheran church and school system.  Unlike many other groups in the 19th century, the Swedes were educated and left their country when the literacy rate was 94+ per cent of the population.  They knew that the route for for success for their children would be via an excellent education.  And it was!  My grandfather was born in a very small and humble home in rural Page County, where his first school was a one room school house.  His education was completed with a Ph. D. from Yale, and he became internationally known in his profession.  His brother followed with a Ph. D. from Princeton and also made waves in his profession.   All of my grandfather's siblings were educated, including the women. 

How did they do that?!!!!  The persistence and creativity  revealed in "The New Land" helped me to better understand the culture that they lived in through networking and relying on each other.  I felt lke I was there. Amazing, really.

Honored Contributor

Oh, it is amazing, @Barbara in Virginia, for sure.  What a record of hard work and high achievement in America in your family--  wonderful story!

I DVR'd and re-watched "Autumn Sonata" also until I fell asleep near the end, and agree with you about Bergman's (Ingmar) films.  They can be intense, but over time what you have seen on screen keeps seeping into your consciousness, and they are profound.