Respected Contributor

Re: WEDNESDAY IS JIMMY STEWART DAY ON TCM

I'm a big fan, also, of Jimmy Stewart. I'll be surely watching The Shop Around the Corner later on. They just don't make them like him anymore-not even close.

Honored Contributor

Another one I didn't like.   When they matched him up with Lana Turner it was a joke. What awful casting.   Looked like farm boy meets up with Tova

Frequent Contributor

Love the movie"The Mortal Storm!"

But my favorite Jimmy S. movie was "Made For Each Other" with Carole Lombard. Another "1939" classic. Glad I have it on VHS as I watch it every year.

Honored Contributor

I thought maybe today was Jimmy Stewart's birthday. TCM has his movies on today and Fox Movie Channel has Dear Brigitte on right now.

But his birthday was May 20.

Valued Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

I meant to pick up on your reference to the important westerns J.S. made with director Anthony Mann, @Highlands72.  I've always meant to watch at least one.  Was "Cheyenne Autumn" one of those?  Do you have one in particular you recommend?

---

I have seen Anthony Mann westerns called "Noir on the Range." They are more hard-edged, especially for Jimmy Stewart, who generally is not thought of as someone to play a flawed, cynical character.

Stewart and Mann made about five westerns together, all in the 1950s, when Stewart was at his "rugged" best. I love them all, but my favorite is The Naked Spur, with Robert Ryan and Janet Leigh.

Cheyenne Autumn is from Stewart's John Ford period of westerns in the 1960s, which (at least in my mind) are far less interesting than the Anthony Mann collaborations.

Valued Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

I never met a Jimmy Stewart movie I didn't love. He's the All American Actor to me. Love him. All the movies here are faves, but Rear Window is probably numero uno. There's a little known movie that I watch for so I can record it. No Highway in the Sky. He's a bumbling scientist (or professor I forget) who's on a commercial flight and he's figuring stuff on a tablet the whole time-he meets a passenger (Marlene Dietrich) and they get to talking and he tells her that by his calculations the tail of this airplane will fall off-he even gives the mileage for when it will happen. Instead of scoffing at his ridiculous meanderings, she wants to hear more. By the time he tells her everything he's figured out, she's convinced-well, kinda. Glynnis Johns also stars. I loved this movie. I guess it's not scheduled?

---

I remember No Highway in the Sky.  It must have been long ago when I saw it because I have forgotten most of the plot. I will have to search it out.

From what I have read, Stewart and Dietrich had an "interesting" off-screen relationship.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Nobody yet has mentioned the first You've Got Mail, that is, the Shop Around the Corner with wonderful James Stewart.  I enjoyed watching Mr. Smith...D.C. again recently on TCM.  I may watch Anatomy of a Murder tonight (yet again).

My favorite is Rear Window.  And I love Raymond Burr in that too!

Trusted Contributor

@Oznell  I have been watching Jimmy off and on all day, what a wonderful actor !!!

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the tip re "The Naked Spur",  @Highlands72!

Esteemed Contributor

Watched The Man From Laramie this afternoon ... currently watching The Shop Around the Corner, which was remade much later, as You've Got Mail,  starring Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks.

James Stewart was one of my favorites of all time.