Honored Contributor

Re: WEDNESDAY IS JIMMY STEWART DAY ON TCM

@SoX wrote:

Watched The Man From Laramie this afternoon ... currently watching The Shop Around the Corner, which was remade much later, as You've Got Mail starring Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks.

James Stewart was one of my favorites of all time.

@SoX  Well...yeah.  You must have read my post above!

Esteemed Contributor

Bell, Book and Candle, @Highlands72 ...

I had seen Jimmy Stewart in a night time talk show years ago, and Leno asked: what was / were your favorite movies that you loved doing?

He said immediately, FAVORITE:: B,B and C. 

Also was fascinated with Vertigo. If there's any Academy actor..... as

JS - In heaven, would be him, as I can envision.

I heard another film star say the most sincere, sweetest few words four years ago.

'I want to go where JS is right now',

as she pointed ^UP^. 

Bell, Book and Candle is my number one JS movie, also, (as Oznell must know) Rear Window. 

Very difficult for me to understand, NOW, he being of the single process as I understand. 

BUT!  YES!

A different time and people I know very little about and it remains so. 

The Shop Around the Corner. 1940. Love that one~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~FANTASTIC- PERIOD! !!!!

Hello @Oznell 

Buttered or plain? My blood pressure is 102/70 . Yes.!

I am eating more REAL butter. Woman Happy  HA!

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@SoX wrote:

Watched The Man From Laramie this afternoon ... currently watching The Shop Around the Corner, which was remade much later, as You've Got Mail starring Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks.

James Stewart was one of my favorites of all time.

@SoX  Well...yeah.  You must have read my post above!

@Pearlee

Actually, I didn't get to your post ...   Thanks for pointing it out, though.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Another of my favorites (aren't they all?) ... Anatomy  of a Murder was just aired last week.   I watched it then for the umpteenth time, lol.  Maybe it was a tribute to Ben Gazzara.   Eve Arden is a delight in this movie.

Honored Contributor

Yay, good for you @NAES1!  Revel in it.

Thanks for mentioning "Vertigo".   I sort of binged on it years ago, so can't watch it again for maybe a decade, but I think he plumbed new depths with that one...

Honored Contributor

I remember reading about Cheyenne Autumn just after it came out. The reviews were awful. They said something about how long it took to make it and then it was a bust. I had wanted to go see it but this dissuaded me. I may watch it on tv one day and pretend I hadn't read that lol.

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Yay, good for you @NAES1!  Revel in it.

Thanks for mentioning "Vertigo".   I sort of binged on it years ago, so can't watch it again for maybe a decade, but I think he plumbed new depths with that one...

Even though, 

I really like Kim Novak, the movie did very little for me as intrigue. I did not like the movie as well as others did.

A good intro, though, saying that you binged on it.

I had seen it two times. Enough.

Ladida, in a decade I may have no teeth. And possibly will need glasses. I'll have my husband speech me through it.

I can see the GRAY suit already. 

@Oznell 

Honored Contributor

So I watched Anatomy of a Murder again last night - I really have just never gotten into this film, much as I love courtroom dramas.  I think  perhaps it's because the main characters other than Stewart are so unlikeable.  Ben G. and Lee R. are soooo unlikeable.  I don't even root that much for Ben to get off, since he's hit Lee R. in the past.

Geo. C. Scott was horrid of course.  The only likeable person was the judge (Joseph Welch)!  He was terrific.  Even Arthur O'Connell, to me, was unlikeable although he redeems himself during the film.  Who likes a staggering drunk who can't make a living as a lawyer because he drinks too much?  Ugh.  And of course Ben and Lee abscond without paying Jimmy - not even giving him a promissory note.

I had forgotten this was a Preminger film.  I even disliked the music.  It was very inttrusive and IMO just didn't fit the film. I also think the film takes a while to "get going" and was reminded last night how much my interest wanders during the first 20 or so minutes.