Trusted Contributor

Re: WEDNESDAY IS JIMMY STEWART DAY ON TCM

@Oznell  I have to share this story:

An airline friend checked in Mr. and Mrs. Stewart many years ago at the ticket counter.

He said they were both the most gracious, down to earth people.

Just makes me love him more.

Honored Contributor

Love those "personal encounter" stories, @Annabellethecat66 and @Chicagosuburbangirl --  such fun!

Honored Contributor

And we start out the day with After the Thin Man. I always have to watch this movie, just because of Jimmy Stewart and Alan Marshall. So I will be up at 6AM. And can't wait to watch the next movie No Time for Comedy with Rosalind Russell. Not sure if I ever saw that movie.

Wish TCM had spaced Lena Horn and Jimmy Stewart days a day or two apart. I spent much of the day watching many musicals I have not seen in awhile.

I even watched some of I Dood It on Demand. Thanks Diva on the Q.

Valued Contributor

@Chicagosuburbangirl wrote:

@Oznell  I have to share this story:

An airline friend checked in Mr. and Mrs. Stewart many years ago at the ticket counter.

He said they were both the most gracious, down to earth people.

Just makes me love him more.

----

I love it when stories like this confirm that people are as nice as I have imagined them to be.

Esteemed Contributor

"I'll love you for ever George Bailey"

says Mary (Hatch) Bailey  It's A Wonderful Life

Super Contributor

@denisemb I’m not laughing, Shenandoah is one of my favorite Jimmy Stewart movies too!  My other is Rear Window.  I never get tired of those two movies.  

Valued Contributor

Jimmy Stewart is one of my all-time favorites. He has done so many good movies, but a few of my favorites are: "The Mortal Storm," " Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, " "The Shop Around the Corner," and " Mr. Kruger's Christmas. " My dad always enjoyed watching "Harvey."

@Oznell you described "The Mortal Storm" so well when you said it was deeply moving and at times chilling. It eerily gives you a sense of the fear that must have permeated 1930's Germany. If there was ever a movie I'd like to change the ending to, it would be that movie. (I know Frank Morgan is probably best remembered for The Wizard of Oz but I think his best and most sensitive performance was in this movie. And Maria Ouspenskaya was so convincing as Stewart's mother - your heart breaks with hers as she bids farewell to Stewart and Sullavan's characters knowing full well she may never see them again).

Lucky you @Annabellethecat66 getting to talk to Jimmy Stewart! It doesn't surprise me at all that you said he was so nice. Thanks for sharing that information about him.

Respected Contributor

Oh I’m so happy I saw your post @Oznell , I will be watching. I’m another adoring fan of J.S. , he always reminded me of my daddy....also I have named many a rabbit of mine Harvey. 🥰

Honored Contributor

I meant to pick up on your reference to the important westerns J.S. made with director Anthony Mann, @Highlands72.  I've always meant to watch at least one.  Was "Cheyenne Autumn" one of those?  Do you have one in particular you recommend?

I was surprised that "Vertigo" was left off today's schedule, but maybe it's been aired too much lately...

Honored Contributor

I never met a Jimmy Stewart movie I didn't love. He's the All American Actor to me. Love him. All the movies here are faves, but Rear Window is probably numero uno. There's a little known movie that I watch for so I can record it. No Highway in the Sky. He's a bumbling scientist (or professor I forget) who's on a commercial flight and he's figuring stuff on a tablet the whole time-he meets a passenger (Marlene Dietrich) and they get to talking and he tells her that by his calculations the tail of this airplane will fall off-he even gives the mileage for when it will happen. Instead of scoffing at his ridiculous meanderings, she wants to hear more. By the time he tells her everything he's figured out, she's convinced-well, kinda. Glynnis Johns also stars. I loved this movie. I guess it's not scheduled?