Honored Contributor

Re: WAYWARD PINES - Will There Be A Second Season?

I just listened today (Thursday) to an interview on Entertainment Weekly XM Radio with the hosts and the writer (and sometimes director) of Wayward Pines.

Here's what he told them in his own voice.....he said they've known from the beginning that this show was going to end.  He said IF (and he said there are no plans .....he said he'd say if there was...no plans right now to carry on into another season.  Now that came out of the writer's mouth.  He is the person responsible for putting this show together.

The EW interviewers asked him if it could pick up next year and he said he there are all kinds of rumors out there but they definitely do not intend to carry this show on to next year.

Then they talked about how the actors were able to give input into this and that.  The actress who plays the nurse is the one who had the idea to make them be brother and sister.  He said the other actors had some input into some of what happened.  He said that the writer of the book wrote some (I think he said 2 or 3 of the TV versions of the show).  He said he had different directors also during the course of the show.

Now I'm just telling you what he definitely said on the air to the interviewers.  Their show starts at 3:00PM and ends at 6 :00PM.

They kept asking him if there would be something else next year and he said, yet again, "look, as far as I know nothing is planned with this writer and I KNOW I'm not involved in anything".

He said there were a few things that he'd wished (after seeing the finished product) that he'd have done (one I remember is some people commented it didn't flow as well having the wife and son somewhere else while Matt Dillion was in Wayward Pines (years behind, I think he said).  He said he'd have liked to have gone back over that and changed it.  He mentioned a few other things but I don't remember what it was.

So there you have it.  Now who's to say the grubby money hungry people wouldn't leave it alone and extend the thing and have them being 'thawed' out again.

He did say something some of you have said.  He said the book was wonderful and if you want more of Wayward Pines you should get the books because they go into depth about the characters and the town.  

One more thing I remembered in th interview....he said there was debate (more kidding than anything) on whether or not they should have these people be able to watch TV or that they should have TV at Wayward Pines.  Then he made reference to some cartoon show and it would have to be on a loop because it would be difficult for the town to continue to put out shows.

Contributor

The last show of the series is tonite at 9p.

I love spoilers, want to know how things are going to turn out before I watch a show or series (I know, I am annoying even to the hubs; have learned to keep my spoilers to myself!).  Anyway, if you are like me and want to know (HAVE to know) how the series ends just go to Wayward Pines Wiki and you will find the summary of the series finale (#10) there.

BTW, luv The Walking Dead and of course I have to know what's gonna happen there too.  They are filming the series now in Griffin & Senoia GA and Facebook spies are everywhere there trying to find out who's gonna live and who's gonna die.  

Good spoiler stuff!!

Honored Contributor

whitelinen.  I am EXACTLY like you.  I LOVE spoilers.  Sometimes I go crazy on the internet trying to see ahead of time what is going to happen.  

I HATE waiting!  Thanks for the heads up.

Esteemed Contributor

what just happened, don't get the ending....who were the people hanging?!   And why do the same thing all over again! 

Respected Contributor

SPOILERS below in case you haven't seen the final episode yet.

The kids knew Pilcher had a bunker full of weapons and supplies and took over the town. Apparently they put all the adults into suspension, because they were considered trouble makers. I'm guessing that the people who were lynched were people who tried to escape or disobeyed. They were reckoned and left there as a warning.

The name of the episode was 'CYCLE' . It ended almost the same way it began. Instead of Ethan waking up in the hospital, it was Ben. Since the kids were true believers of Pilcher, they resumed his vision of the town - continuing the reckonings and the surveillance.

Honored Contributor

Now we know why Matt Dillon wasn't interested in doing a second season!

Occasional Contributor

The last episode was a downer and and a let down.  I felt cheated for watching the entire show.  I get tired of seeing doom and destruction themes.  It started out so good, good actors and creating suspense.  Then it progressed to convaluted twists and turns.  This story had so much potential.  At the end, I just did not like any of the characters and it was hard to invest any interest in what happened to them.  I almost rooted for the creatures.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It was a letdown for me.  And not necessarily because it was dystopian.  I think it was just badly written.  The reveals, when they came, were too late to make a difference in how I felt about the charcters. Before they revealed what year it was, they should have made us care about the characters, and they never did that for me.   

And for the record, the savagery of the abbies was not believable.  I don't believe humans will devolve into wild beasts in 2000 years.  We may not be the nice people we are today (haha) but we are not going to turn into animals. There was just too much of the ridiculous in this show.

Trusted Contributor

I watched the whole series and enjoyed it, but am glad they ended it as they planned on in the beginning.  I thought the ending brought some closure and a surprise or two.  For those who thought it was weird or off-putting, all you need to know is who directed it - M. Night Shamalayan - enough said!   

Respected Contributor

ITA Shogirll2, it was a perfect ending . I would hate if they started to stretch it into next chapter. 

It is very allegorical and self explanatory . Whomever did not get it too bad.

Overall I think it was a good show. I just hope somebody will right something sweet and uplifting.