Super Contributor

I have read that the series is based on Robyn Carr’s books. And, that fans of the books are not happy with the changes that have been made to the characters.

I haven’t read the books, but I watched the series, it is a little Lifetime-y.  I’m hoping Season 2 has better writing & acting.

The plot lines are good, the characters are interesting, the scenery is breathtaking. I would like more focus more on Mel’s work, Doc needs more to do, and the Annette O’Toole character needs to be recast & rewritten.

Respected Contributor

Re: Virgin River

[ Edited ]

@QVCkitty1  @debfau  @cantdrive55  It is based on Robyn Carr's books. Someone started an earlier thread about this couple of weeks ago, which got me binge-watching the Netflix shows. I've read and re-read all of the Virgin River books. Other than the names and the general plot, the Netflix series only loosely follows the books.

Beyond the inconsistencies between the series and the books, the thing that bothered me while I was watching Netflix was that there's a darkness in the Netflix shows that wasn't as prevalent in the books. It reminded me of the original Twin Peaks TV series where there was an undercurrent of malevolence that set the stage for upcoming seasons. For example, the shows portray the Jack character of having frequent PTSD episodes, which he self-medicates with booze that he keeps a flask on hand at all times. In the books, Jack has a couple of PTSD episodes, but he doesn't self-medicate. In fact, he usually sticks to coffee. 

Each book focuses on one or two characters who usually have an obstacle to overcome, which sometimes involves prevailing over a bad situation or a downright evil person. But there are plenty of good things happening, too. In fact, one of the reasons I keep going back to these books is their overall positive outlook. 

Honored Contributor

A friend of mine is enjoying it too.