Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Vintage Movies-- Daring Dames and Conflicted Heroes in "Film Noir"

Is it The Shootest by any chance?

Honored Contributor

cherry, that's it!  You have an encyclopedic knowledge-- I hope you stay with this thread!

HEADS UP:   For those of you who missed it,  Turner Classic Movies is showing "Christmas In Connecticut"  again at 2:00 Eastern Time today about a half hour from now!

It sparkles-- it has Barbara Stanwyck, Dennis Morgan, cuddly S.Z. Sakall, and Sydney Greenstreet as Stanwyck's overbearing publisher.  Don't miss the wonderful sequence of Dennis Morgan singing while Barbara pensively decorates the massive Christmas tree.  A delight from start to finish...

It's not a film noir, but I know a lot of you probably love this one!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell wrote:

cherry, that's it!  You have an encyclopedic knowledge-- I hope you stay with this thread!

HEADS UP:   For those of you who missed it,  Turner Classic Movies is showing "Christmas In Connecticut"  again at 2:00 Eastern Time today about a half hour from now!

It sparkles-- it has Barbara Stanwyck, Dennis Morgan, cuddly S.Z. Sakall, and Sydney Greenstreet as Stanwyck's overbearing publisher.  Don't miss the wonderful sequence of Dennis Morgan singing while Barbara pensively decorates the massive Christmas tree.  A delight from start to finish...

It's not a film noir, but I know a lot of you probably love this one!

One of our local movie theaters is showing it.

Honored Contributor

http://hookedonhouses.net/2016/12/08/christmas-in-connecticut-movie-farmhouse/

Other people are obsessed with that New England farmhouse as well...

Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@adoreqvc, well, there was quite a downside too.  Talking in that overly theatrical voice, faux English, that nobody speaks in.  I find that very annoying and they way they pronounced some words (American actors putting on a very hokey way of speaking that was very fake and theatrical).  I can't stand that in old movies. 

Huh????

For the person who didn't understand my huh? It means, what American actors putting on very hokey accents? I don't understand that. No clue.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  That's funny-I was almost late for church writing it. Birds of a feather.

Respected Contributor

Film noir was an outcome of/in reaction to the events of WW2 and The Cold War that followed. The arts, including literature, painting, and film were affected. Film noir illustrates the darker side of humanity and often keeps us guessing. I absolutey love vintage film noir, but I love all vintage films. Thanks for starting this post.