Respected Contributor

I hope there are a few of you out there in TV Land watching Season 6 of Vikings which began this past Wednesday 12/4.  I've got some questions which puzzle me and maybe someone can fill me in. 

First, Ivar is supposed to be travelling The Silk Road.  Why is he in Russia?  Is this some Northern route from Norway down to China?  Why did this new 'Prophet' king torture Ivar's travelling guide, not believe him, etc...when he has developed a blossoming Bromance with Ivar?  They are now best buds, or so it seems.  What is the Prophet's ulterior motive?  Will they wind up using each other in battle to re-capture Kattegat?  (Have to say the costumes are spectacular - the vestments, the furs, the leathers - whoever does the costuming on this series should win an award!)

This relatively new bride of Bjorn.  The tall warrior woman.  (name?)  There was a very brief scene with her swimming under water and placing a knife in her mouth as if she was going to sabotage someone sailing into Kattegat.  But the very next scene we see her all dry and back in her abode w/Bjorn.  Then these two weary travellers show up to speak w/Bjorn.  What is her ulterior motive?  She didn't take up w/King Harald (who really seemed to like her) but instead went w/Bjorn (to be Queen?).  I don't trust her.  And where did King Harald go?  I know he'll be back but where is he hanging out for the time being?

I guess we can assume Floki perished in the volcanic eruption on Iceland.  But now that other fellow is back looking for more volunteers for settlement.  He was a good guy, now he's a bad guy, and what will become of Ubbe(sp?) if he leaves?  Will he not be fighting for Kattegat along w/his brothers and go with this guy to Iceland w/Tori(sp?)? 

Oftentimes w/the accents and low voices I cannot understand what xactly is going on.  The underwater scene w/Bjorn's wife is the one I really am wondering about.

Anyone?

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Respected Contributor

Re: Vikings - Premier Questions

I also am in the dark as to that episode.  What I do is watch it again with the closed captions on.   The writers deliberately leave a lot of ambiguous scenes. They don't want everything to be obvious.

Honored Contributor

This show is fascinating but always leaves me with many questions!  I also have trouble at times hearing what is said.  Problematic accents and low tones!

I can't answer your questions but have pondered some of the same things.

Bjorn's wife -- yes, I certainly question her loyalty and motives as well.

Now -- a lot of things will be happening so it seems.

I did question all of this stuff with the relationship forming with Ivar and that king.  But when he mentioned wanting to attack Kattegat and getting revenge on his brothers, he said the magic words and Ivar appears to be all in!

Now, Lagertha wants to retire and has buried her sword with the promise that she will never fight again!  I am sorry but this is unlikely to happen!  When Ivar returns with his new "friend", she will most likely be called in to action again to defend her home!

As for Bjorn, he does not wish to fight, but his title as King is being called into question since he was helped by King Harald in the past. So, should he not be required to return this favor and go and help him in his time of need?  In doing so, he will leave Kattegat open for attack not knowing (I presume) that Ivar and party is soon to arrive and attack Kattegat.

Who will defend Kattegat while Bjorn and his fighters are off helping King Harald (if this does happen)?  Will King Rolo show up to support and defend Kattegat, his old home?  He always had a thing for Lagertha as well.

As for Floki --- is he really dead?  He was presumed to be a god????  Will he show up again???

Yes, many unawered questions, many assumptions.  Whatever happens, sure to be interesting! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

Good to see other posters have an interest in this series.  I like others tape the episodes so that I can replay them as the plot lines are complex. There are numerous characters to keep track of and again agree I don't always understand what they say .

I've been watching from the beginning S1E1.  Agree with the other poster the costumes deserve an emmy award.

Actually, I thought this airing  of  season 6 was a rerun , however I taped it anyway to revisit. Will have to view before commenting further on this episode.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jellyBEAN   The Silk Road has many branches.  Rus is not Russia.  It is inhabited by Rus Vikings.  Rus is the name of these Vikings, not the land.

Rus  Vikings explored along the Black and Caspian Seas.

Kiev is part of the Rus kingdom and today is in the Ukraine.

I believe Floki is still alive.  Flatnose is certainly hiding something. 

Floki believed the gods sent him to Iceland, thinking he was the first to discover this land.  But in the cave he saw the Christian cross and then the cave -in happened.

He knew then that he wasn't the first to discover that land.  It was almost like a revenge for his killing the Christian monk-Athelstan.  So if he really is dead I look at that as punishment for killing Athelstan.  Floki despised the Christians and Ragnar's friendshp with Athelstan.

I still think he survived somehow, though.

I'm not quite sure why Oleg wants Kattegat.  Certainly Ivar does and both psychopaths will play their roles to obtain it. 

Oleg had heard of Ivar the Boneless; he realizes he can use Ivar to get to Kattegatt so tortures the companion instead.  Once Ivar declares himself a god to Oleg, Oleg wants proof-that is when his kills Ivar's companion-in other words, looking to see Ivar the god stop it.  Of course he cannot.

My feeling is they will bond to capture Kattegatt but will end up dead either by each other's hands or by Bjorn.

Bjorn's wife Gunnhild-I didn't get the swimming, either.  Other than the actress is a RL Olympic swmmer.  LOL

And where is Rollo??? Will the Wessex Kingdom come into play??

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1"Now, Lagertha wants to retire and has buried her sword with the promise that she will never fight again! I am sorry but this is unlikely to happen! When Ivar returns with his new "friend", she will most likely be called in to action again to defend her home!"

Lagertha does take up fighting again.  You must have blinked to fast and/or did not watch the Floki story which came on right before the Vikings premier.

Each main character was interviewed telling & showing what you will see happen in the finale episodes as a sneak peek. 

Lagertha was one of them.  Sorry, but I just cannot imagine a bad limping/lame old woman sword fighting even if she is a Viking warrior!

Also, during the premier "future" episodes were shown as "sneak peak commercials."

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

I too believe that Floki is still alive.  However, when they showed that whole collapse of the mountain and cave where he was at, it seemed VERY unlikely that he would be able to survive all that.  But, he IS Floki, so we shall see.

I have not watched the series from the beginning.  I only picked up on it in Season 4 when Ivar had grown up and this actor playing Ivar began with the series.  I'm sorry I missed the earlier seasons w/Ragnar and Rolo and all that.

I also hope we are filled in on what's going on in England w/the young King and the land given over to the Vikings.  I look forward to King Harald's return, I find him intriguing. 

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

I love that show, I have watched it from day 1.  Yes, it can be vague and ambiguous but what I don't understand immediately, I understand as the episodes play on.  That  "Oh, now I get it!" moment.  Sometimes, I watch an episode twice to pick up on what I missed or think I missed.  I did the same with GOT.  We were led to believe that Flokki perished in the volcano but something tells me he's still alive.  Just a feeling.

Super Contributor

Thank you for posting! I didn't know the season had started. As to the muffled voices I turn on the Closed Caption option and follow along that way. Floki found what appeared to be the Holy Grail in the volcano so he may now be a sprit of some kind?

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@AngelPuppy1"Now, Lagertha wants to retire and has buried her sword with the promise that she will never fight again! I am sorry but this is unlikely to happen! When Ivar returns with his new "friend", she will most likely be called in to action again to defend her home!"

Lagertha does take up fighting again.  You must have blinked to fast and/or did not watch the Floki story which came on right before the Vikings premier.

Each main character was interviewed telling & showing what you will see happen in the finale episodes as a sneak peek. 

Lagertha was one of them.  Sorry, but I just cannot imagine a bad limping/lame old woman sword fighting even if she is a Viking warrior!

Also, during the premier "future" episodes were shown as "sneak peak commercials."

@Mz iMac 

You're right!  I guess I did not.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin