Honored Contributor

Re: Vietnam, the miniseries by Ken Burns starts tonight.

@traveler wrote:

Anyone else planning on watching it all week?

My husband is watching. He is a Vietnam War vet. In fact every two years they get together for a reunion. Of course the guys are scattered all over the country - so the reunions are too. And they call and email each other all the time. I think it is nice they have stayed in contact with one another. 

Honored Contributor

I wasn't going to watch the series because I lived through that time of chaos and losing so many people of my generation.  I knew those who went to Viet Nam and conscientious objectors, but throughout I always backed the soldiers but never the war. 

I just finished the fifth episode tonight and  like the others it was riveting.  My emotions go from anger to sadness throughout.  I realize after all these years, I finally know so much more than told back then.  We were kept in the dark and this series, which is now of course history, reinforces how I felt about the war and always did.  

I am so sorry for all the losses and didn't agree with how the soldiers were treated when they returned home.  While I didn't believe in the war I never would take it out on the men who served.

I could say so much more but I will leave it at that and just add Burns and Novick deserve an award for this unbelievable, emotional stirring , top notch series.

Honored Contributor

@spiderw wrote:

I wasn't going to watch the series because I lived through that time of chaos and losing so many people of my generation.  I knew those who went to Viet Nam and conscientious objectors, but throughout I always backed the soldiers but never the war. 

I just finished the fifth episode tonight and  like the others it was riveting.  My emotions go from anger to sadness throughout.  I realize after all these years, I finally know so much more than told back then.  We were kept in the dark and this series, which is now of course history, reinforces how I felt about the war and always did.  

I am so sorry for all the losses and didn't agree with how the soldiers were treated when they returned home.  While I didn't believe in the war I never would take it out on the men who served.

I could say so much more but I will leave it at that and just add Burns and Novick deserve an award for this unbelievable, emotional stirring , top notch series.

Spider Women

I was in high school when my brother was sent to Vietnam. The day after he came home, my Mom asked my brother to go to the grocery. She needed something for dinner. So since he just came home, my brother asked if I wanted to go. He never asked me to tag along before but we had both "Grown" in the year he was gone. I cheerfully agreed.

Well, we were checking out and the women in front of us started to scream at my brother. She could tell by his haircut that he was in the service. She was calling him a baby killer and he killed innocent people etc.  She I am sure could have been heard by everyone in this large grocery store. And she kept yelling all sorts of things at him. My brother calmly turned to me and said here are the car keys go to the car and wait for me there. I didn't know what this lady might do and protested a bit. And my brother repeated the request. He said he could handle the situation.

So I stated to walk to the car. I then heard him calmly say to the screaming lady. "You have no idea what I did". He was a fireman on the base. It a plane landed and had trouble - he put out the fire or foamed the runway. If a house caught fire, they put it out. They were like any municipal fire department we have today.

After it seemed like forever my brother came out. He said everything as OK. I asked what happened and he just said everything was OK. I said I could not believe the lady screaming at him. He said that was nothing, He said it was worse when he got off the plane in the US from Vietnam. 

Years later my brother said - He was being discharged out of the service right after he got back from Vietnam. He wanted to make sure that he flew through the discharge process and that there would be no problems. So he said he got a haircut, just to make sure that they couldn't find anything to slow down the process. He said that is what tipped everyone that he was in the service. In the year he was gone, hairstyles were even longer than when he left. He said he shouldn't have gotten that haircut. It caused lots of trouble for him.

Honored Contributor

DRIZZELLA,

I am very sorry people were so nasty and disrespectful to your brother and others who served.  I never felt that way and watching the series now should serve as a lesson to the people who did.  The dangers the soldiers faced was horrific.  God bless your brother and all the vets who served and I thank them for sacrificing for a war they may or may not have believed in. 

Respected Contributor

I remember the first time I saw a Made in Vietnam Nam tag in clothing. It really stopped me for a while. It was then that I realized it was over.

Honored Contributor

I'm glad they gave us a bit of a rest to regroup.

As someone else stated, each episode is tougher and tougher to watch.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Trusted Contributor

Watching the series,yes it is hard to watch,i still can't figure out if there was a right or wrong side,I was barely 20 at the time  and of course i believed my president and government,but as time went on and watching the demonstrations,,and so many soldiers getting killed ,I knew four young guys from my graduating class who were killed,Iam learning alot by watching this,seems our parents didn't discuss wars with us so we just went on with our lives.I always wonder if the north was so bad   ,why are they so prosperous now? I hear they are happy and everyone is doing well,its sad the politics was a large part of the war and sadder that so many were killed because of there political views.

Honored Contributor

If it's hard for people to watch who weren't in the trenches doing the fighting, just think about the people actually doing the shooting!

As I said, my husband was Honor Guard doing the burying of these soldiers day after day.  He'd come home and tell me stories about the families of these men.

He was light infantry and they were sending heavy so he didn't have to go.  Then he was heavy and they were sending light.  But he was also staring in a show the Army was putting on here in the US and they needed him here to do that.  We have very, very good friends who went and they have PTSD still.

Esteemed Contributor

Does anyone know if this series starts over again?  I'm sorry I missed it.  Is there any other way I can get it?  TIA

Honored Contributor

DH and I have watched a few episodes.  We just saw the one on My Lai.  I remember seeing the news about it as a teen but this episode helped me to understand what happened there.  It was fascinating & sad.