Honored Contributor

Re: Victoria Season 3 January 13, 2019

I like to know whether characters and incidents on Victoria are based on real people and real situations.  I was shocked to find out that Charles Francaelli (the cook in Victoria) was indeed a real character!  He really was the personal chef for Queen Victoria.  I had thought he was a fictional character.  Nancy Skerret, the Queens's dresser did indeed exist in real life.

In fact, quite a few of the characters in the palace were real characters. And a couple of dramatic incidents really did happen. Queen Victoria did indeed save her husband's life.  That scene when Albert falls in the frozen lake really did happen.  And yes, Victoria pulled him out.  That was a situation where truth was stranger then fiction. 

Honored Contributor

For sure.

Wish all these shows thinking of Downton Abby wouldn't dwell so much on

the hired help. I don't really care about the goings on of the downstairs help.

Respected Contributor

From the 2 companion shows about Victoria, the one about her 9 children didn't paint her as a very good mother.  She seemed very self centered & not maternal, especially following Albert's death & didn't seem to like her own children very much!

Honored Contributor

She really never liked kids, but, back in those days you had no choice.

If you did the deed often enough you had a bundle coming.

she was mad right after they got married that one came along as fast as it did.  Women nowdays have all kinds of ways to prevent unwanted pregnancies , but, still act like they don't know how it happened. LOL   If they had to live back in the old days and you were at the mercy of men with no way of preventing the outcome they would appreciate more current days.

I can't remember the EXACT quote , but, it seemed like she said all babies when born looked like little monkeys.  Queen Mary , later on wasn't crazy about kids either, but, there were no birth control pill back then, etc.

Esteemed Contributor

@BettyNewbie wrote:

I'm ready....lets go

Ive seen the special about Victoia and Alberts wedding that will air after tonight episode.

I have to say, I am very suprised  Dr. Worsely gets a few things very wrong...the first one.....Victorias mother was never a Queen Mother...she was a Queen's Mother but never herself a Queen

@BettyNewbieI watched the special about the wedding following the episode.  I didn't realize it was part 1 of 2 or I wouldn't have bothered.  It was interesting, but not enough for me to watch the second part.

I don't understand the need to "re-enact" it.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@songbird Yes!  I wish I knew more about this history.  I’d love to know if this is following history.  My daughter often explains to me what’s true versus made up.  Unfortunately I haven’t seen her in a few days.

Whywould Albert waste time on the ‘challenged’ in the looks department sister when his wife is much prettier.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@songbird Yes!  I wish I knew more about this history.  I’d love to know if this is following history.  My daughter often explains to me what’s true versus made up.  Unfortunately I haven’t seen her in a few days.

Whywould Albert waste time on the ‘challenged’ in the looks department sister when his wife is much prettier.

Apparently the majority of the characters were real, but the situations and relationships were not.  For example the romance/tragedy of the those two young men.  Lord Alfred Paget and Edward Drummond. They were real, but they did not have a gay relaltionship.  In real life, Paget married that young girl (on the show) and had...drum roll please....14 children. So if Paget was gay, he went way beyond the call of duty. The producer on the show wanted to bring up homosexual activity at that time.  It was convenient to pick those two characters.  Ernest, Albert's brother was real.  But he never married that duchess.  He married a German princess, did not love  her and had an "open" arrangement with his wife.  He did have Syphilis. The actual duchess Harriet, was about 15 years older then Ernest and was happily married to her husband.  I frankly don't know why they threw in Princess Fedora.  I don't like the actress they picked and I dislike her personality.  To what purpose they added her, I can't imagine.  Probably they'll be some deaths to some of ther characters to make room for the new group.  Lawrence Fox as Palmerston shows promise.  Interesting character.  

Valued Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@BettyNewbie wrote:

I'm ready....lets go

Ive seen the special about Victoia and Alberts wedding that will air after tonight episode.

I have to say, I am very suprised  Dr. Worsely gets a few things very wrong...the first one.....Victorias mother was never a Queen Mother...she was a Queen's Mother but never herself a Queen

@BettyNewbieI watched the special about the wedding following the episode.  I didn't realize it was part 1 of 2 or I wouldn't have bothered.  It was interesting, but not enough for me to watch the second part.

I don't understand the need to "re-enact" it.

ha! I agree...why?     

I think we have to mark this as an example of the British like Thea-TAH!

(you can find the second part on Youtube)

also the part about Victoria had the "Tiny" crown made for her coronation was incorrect...it was made much later

Honored Contributor

That gal with the bushy brows has a DVD to sell is what I think