Esteemed Contributor

Vicki Gunvalson's Daughter Brianna

[ Edited ]

She lost 45 lbs. with keto and - more importantly - her lupus flares have stopped - she says her health has greatly improved.

per Page Six, People, etc.

Contributor

Re: Vicki Gunvalson's Daughter Brianna

[ Edited ]

I don't have any idea if it's the keto or plastic surgery. She looks like a 20 year old.

Esteemed Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

She lost 45 lbs. with keto and - more importantly - her lupus flares have stopped - she says her health has greatly improved.

per Page Six, People, etc.

I am sure her health has improved due to weight loss. I have a cousin who is very thin and still battles lupus everyday of her life. I wish they would quit making these declarations.  

Honored Contributor

Right after my third child was born, I went on a `Keto` Diet.  It was actually Nutri System. They had a center near me.  I had to attend classes and buy my food there...low carb and low fat.  They also took blood work from me weekly and I had to take the most awful potassium tablets that were dissolved in water..yuck!  I gave a urine sample weekly and they used Keto sticks to be sure I was in Ketosis.

To make a long story short, I lost a lot of weight and pretty quickly too.  The side effect....I almost lost my life.  My heart muscle suffered and I was passing out and getting dizzy.  I had a lot of heart tests. The doctor made me go off of that diet.

Yes, you can lose weight on that diet, but it is not safe at all.  It damages muscle tissue and your heartw is a muscle. This was in 1979.  I was young and thank goodness I didn't get any long term damage.

Nutri System is no longer a `Keto` Diet, but it was.   

Honored Contributor

OMG!  Social media is going crazy arguing about the keto diet.

Jillian Michaels spoke out about how terrible the keto diet is for a person and social media (whoever or whatever that is) went crazy on her!

I see it as another form of Atkins diet.  None of those 'diets' can ever be maintained for very long.

If you google the keto died it lists some of the celebrities (I hate that word) who have used it or are on it.

Super Contributor

She was much prettier in the before. Now she looks as plastic as her Mom. She's too young for the frozen face. 

Respected Contributor

@bourgs4 wrote:

I don't have any idea if it's the keto or plastic surgery. She looks like a 20 year old.

Apparently her mother is on a Housewives show.  She is only 31.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Esteemed Contributor

Keto way of eating is not the same as Atkins or Nutrisystem.

Jillian Michaels blew off because she's worried about her $$$.

Keto does NOT cause any damage to a person's heart muscle (?).

All keto is, is low carb - moderate protein - high fat - no sugar.

There's nothing weird or dangerous about it. People are seeing amazing health benefits from keto.

People consume way too many carbs!!!

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  I was on the Adkins Diet for years.  I lost weight and felt great,  my blood work was really good as was my cholesterol and blood pressure.

Adkins is very different than the Keto Diet.  Adkins does not put your body into ketosis.  You do eat some carbs from fruits and vegetables  and as you lose, you add more carbs into the diet.  You just give up the white foods...white bread, white potatoes and pasta and rice for a while.  You add in small quantities of healthy varieties such as whole grain products as you go along.

Since I have celiac disease, I don't eat bread or pasta anyway.

Whenever I start to gain, I back off on the carbs.  They really put the weight  on me. I used to be 100 lbs heavier than I am now.

Honored Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow  I have tried just about every diet Plan out there.  I 100% know for a fact that Nutri Sysyem used to be a Keto Diet.  It is not anymore.  They got in trouble for it.  Too many people got sick and had gall bladder problems from their old `Keto` Plan. Their diet is now a high carb diet.

A `Keto` Diet requires your body to burn kerones.  You have to practically give up all carbs to get your body into ketosis.  You have bad breath while on this diet.  You burn body fat.  You also need to take supplements, especially postassium.  When your potassium is too low your heart can get permanently damaged.  This diet requires a doctor to do regular blood tests and monitor your progress.  It it not safe for long term.  I almost ended up in the hospital at age 25 while I was on this diet.  I had to beg the doctor not to admit me...I had three small children at the time...two of them were under the age of two.

It Is not the same as Adkins.  Adkins allows carbs and does not put your body into ketosis, but Adkins is a low carb diet.

It is safe to reduce your carb intake to lose weight, but it is not safe to put your body into ketosis without medical monitoring.