Trusted Contributor

Re: Very Nostalgic During the Joan Baez Tribute at 'Kennedy Center Honors'

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@golding76 wrote:

A couple years ago, Garth was doing a very intimate show in Las Vegas.  Was it at the Wynn Las Vegas?  I do not remember exactly.  Anyone recall where it was?

What I remember is that I wanted to catch that show but because there were so few tickets for each performance, I never had a chance to grab one.

@golding76  Yes, I believe it was at the Wynn. It was in a small room.A very intimate setting.Right before the show ended it's run Garth taped one of the shows for network tv. DH & I watched it. It was fabulous. He told stories, took audience requests & sang songs by other artists that he loved.

@golding76  I was never a Garth fan, I didn't care for him or his music and I really can't put into words why I felt that way. One night I was flipping through the channels and I caught that TV special @NicksmomESQ .  Wow, was I wrong. Watching it, it didn't take long to fall in love with everything about him as an artist..

Honored Contributor

Oh no! I had it on my calendar for weeks and I forgot it!

I especially wanted to see Van..... Love him!

And my aunt always reminded me of Joan Baez. She looks a little like her and sings and plays guitar. 

I also love Garth Brooks. Love his voice. When the audience starts singing friends in low places-I saw this live once-so great!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

The whole program was excellent except that don't care for Garth Brooks.  I'd hardly put him in the same category as the rest of the very talented performers. 

@Kachina624 

Totally agree with you there.  When I saw his name I was like WTH?  I'm not a country fan and just don't like him for some reason besides his music.

Respected Contributor

I usually don't watch these shows even though I do like some of the winners. I DVRed it and need to watch.

I'm only watching it for Debbie Allen (love her and watched the show Fame all the time), Joan Baez (her voice and music are timeless).  My favorite album of all time is Diamonds and Rust and played it over and over again.  Also watching it for ****** Van ******, who's one of my favorite actors of all times. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I loved all of the tributes! Especially Debbie Allen, and Garth Brooks! He was so touched by his, he made me get teery eyes. lol!!!!Joan seems so down to earth and just a gentle soul, as does Midori-who is so talented! ****** Van D looked really good and I loved Julie Andrews giving him a tribute-good to see her as well....Great show!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

What a different show this year, but I enjoyed it very much.  Such a diverse group of recipients.  Certainly took me back to my younger days.  I saw Joan Baez (now 80!) in the 1960's at Madison Square Garden and loved her performance.  Played her albums until they were worn out.  And Garth?  He's just a down-to-earth good guy who's sung many great songs.  Some make me cry and others make me laugh.  The night wasn't complete until we heard "Friends in Low Places."  I always have to belt out that song when I hear it. Debbie Allen is so talented and yes, I loved Fame back in the day.  DVD is a classic and so well deserving of any and all honors.  Finally, Midori is a musical genius and boy, I wish I had  even one drop of the talent that woman has.  

Respected Contributor

Excellent show!  Sweet the way Garth kept getting misty.  Travolta's tribute was wonderful.  Didn't know they were friends.

Honored Contributor

This was one of the best shows they've done in years.  Normally they bring in people who have no connection to the artists (and many time I have no idea who they are).  So it was nice to see the majority of the people who performed or spoke had a connection to the artist they were honoring.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

@Jaspersmom Agree with all your positive comments. I can tell you love music. I met Brooks 17 yrs ago on a practice baseball field in AZ. He was kind and caring. Even called our 16 yo daughter to say hello.     

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

Thank you, Nicksmom.  How I wish I'd seen the TV special of that show!

As I recall reading, the room where the show was given had a few tables set up for a handful of guests.  Wow, what a pleasure that must have been.