Honored Contributor

Veronica Lake on ****** Cavett

I just started recording ****** Cavett shows on one of those olde timey channels.

Lots of really good interviews. 

So the one I watched today was with Veronica Lake.

@Oznell, I've never watched a Veronica Lake movie.

<did I just hear a thud?>

So seeing her at 48 years old, is a first for me.  And unfortunately, it's not long before she passes at 51.

She'd written an autobiography and they talked about that among other things.

If I hadn't looked her up, I would've thought she was in her 60's or even early 70's during this interview.

You can tell she was a heavy smoker by her laugh alone. But she also was a heavy drinker.  That's what killed her.

She told how her hairstyle was dangerous for woman working in factories during WWII and it was made into law that woman had to have their hair pulled back to avoid injury.

It was an interesting interview, but it was also sad.  She seemed a little *off*, which is hard to describe as I've never seen her before.

I'm really enjoying the interviews on this show.  Anyone else catching them for the first time?  50 years later!

Honored Contributor

Re: Veronica Lake on ****** Cavett

I watched the ****** Cavett show when it aired and he did have so many great guests on.  His show is still aired all these years later on certain channels.  When I remember I tune in.  I think it has been on Decades.

I didn't know Veronica Lake passed at such a young age. I bet it was an interesting interview with a lovely actress.  Now I will search to see if Cavett's shows are still being aired.   Thanks for sharing.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Interesting...I agree that she does look older than 48 on the show in 1971.  I looked up the clip on YouTube.

I always liked ****** Cavett.  I wonder what ever happened to him.

ETA:  HA ha!  I just put in his name and it has been censored. 

Respected Contributor

For those interested, **** Cavett airs on Decades TV M-F 9 pm-10 pm.

Respected Contributor

He has some truly remarkable shows. Katherine Hepburn, Marlon Brando, Janis Joplin etc, etc.

He often devotes an entire show to one person.

'The results are  extremely interesting and sometimes 

quite unexpected.

Cavett was a super host.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yeah, Cavett's humor is very, very dry.

When he has more than one guest at a time, it's sometimes awkward because the other guests will start talking, but they're off camera. 

And most guests being interviewed on shows such as Johnny Carson, Mike Douglas, et al., aren't used to being uninterrupted.

I mean it can be interesting when the *whole couch* has a conversation going. 

But I noticed this with the Veronica Lake interview, she kept interrupting the newer guest.

Same thing when Raquel Welch was being interviewed, Janis Joplin kept interjecting.  

It throws the interview off sometimes--for me.

Honored Contributor

Ya, the only way we can write his name here is to interrupt the flow of letters, as in putting spaces in between--  D i c k.   Then the computer allows it!

Cavett is a wry, intelligent interviewer.  I must look up the Veronica Lake interview.

Love her when paired with fabulous Alan Ladd, as in the great noir "The Blue Dahlia".

Contributor

She and Alan Ladd made a number of pictures together becasue they both were so short. 

Contributor

I think that Veronica Lake was an alcoholic partof her life.  She wrote her autobiography I think close to the time of her death.    She always reminded me of Frances Farmer.  Both ladies were very talented, IMO, but never really got their due.  They both were alcoholics, had problems with their mothers and died fairly young.

Honored Contributor

@rhinestonechickie wrote:

She and Alan Ladd made a number of pictures together becasue they both were so short. 

Cavett asked her how tall he was and she said 5 feet 8 and a half inches and she said she was 5'2".

Wiki says he was 5'6".