Super Contributor

Re: Valley of the Dolls Movie

I just watched the movie recently and loved it.  I am not a big,Ovid person but thought the acting was good.  New England setting was beautiful.  I was doing a lot of babysitting at the time and several Moms had the book, not my Mom!🤷🏻‍♀️

Respected Contributor

The storyline in the book begins in 1945 (Neely had worked in vaudeville) so the time period was moved up to be contemporary. 

The endings of the book and film also differ.

Trusted Contributor

one of my all time favorite sappy movies. read the book first, i honestly can't remember if it was the same. however, every time i see this movie i can't help thinking about Sharon Tate's demise. such a tragic ending for her. I thought she was so beautiful!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beach-mom 

I saw this at a theater with a girl friend.  It was scandalous at the time Cat Very Happy

I also remember the "Barely Pink" color of the lipstick that drops out of Anne Wells' handbag.  For some reason it stuck in my head all these years!

Recent graduate Anne Welles starts working at a theatrical agency but soon learns how cruel and ruthless the world of theatre is. She’s ready to quit but changes her mind after meeting her boss’s business partner, Lyon Burke (Paul Burke).

On their first meeting she drops her handbag on the floor and one of her make-up items is left on the office carpet.

Lyon picks it up: it’s a lipstick. Funny how he immediately checks the shade on the bottom of the tube.

The shade is Barely Pink, a real shade by Revlon! It was part of the Colors on the Naked Side 1963 collection, which included “barely-there pales with a ladylike lustre.”

Honored Contributor

I love the movie and still have it on a VHS tape.  The book was really good.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

shows you my cultural level (lol) but i can almost recite most of the lines as i watch VOTD.

The worst:  Lyon to Anne, talking about marriage: "No, Some Men Don't Pull Well in Double-Harness"  !!???

Respected Contributor

My favorite line is "sparkle, Neely, sparkle".

Respected Contributor

"I'm gonna heat up the lasagna."

Trusted Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@beach-mom 

I saw this at a theater with a girl friend.  It was scandalous at the time Cat Very Happy

I also remember the "Barely Pink" color of the lipstick that drops out of Anne Wells' handbag.  For some reason it stuck in my head all these years!

Recent graduate Anne Welles starts working at a theatrical agency but soon learns how cruel and ruthless the world of theatre is. She’s ready to quit but changes her mind after meeting her boss’s business partner, Lyon Burke (Paul Burke).

On their first meeting she drops her handbag on the floor and one of her make-up items is left on the office carpet.

Lyon picks it up: it’s a lipstick. Funny how he immediately checks the shade on the bottom of the tube.

The shade is Barely Pink, a real shade by Revlon! It was part of the Colors on the Naked Side 1963 collection, which included “barely-there pales with a ladylike lustr

I just love the ad.  I can still smell the fragrance of Revlon lipstick just by the picture.  They used a tad of real musk in lipstick back then.  It was scrumptious.  Check out the "barely ivory".  I was partial to white lipsticks for years!

Respected Contributor

I loved the book and movie - bought the DVD.