Honored Contributor

I saw this this morning for the first time. Obviously I knew some of the history, but I'd never seen it. Of course I had to read everything I could about it. Susan Hayward was my mom's favorite actress, so I've seen a lot of her movies. I can't believe Patty Duke didn't get an Academy Award for this. She was SO good!   

I read that it was considered one of the worst movies of all time. To me it seemed to cram a lot of story lines in all at once.

Does it follow the book?

What do you think?

Respected Contributor

Re: Valley of the Dolls Movie

[ Edited ]

I love this movie. I bought the DVD. You need to watch the movie with the commentary by Barbara Parkins. It gives the movie a different perspective. The movie is not the worst I have seen but it is unintentionally funny.

Honored Contributor

I watched it decades ago and really liked it. I do recall being impressed by Patty's performance. If I watched it today I don't know what my opinion of it would be.

Respected Contributor

Best Performance by a Supporting Actress: Patty's Necklace

Neely+O%27Hara.jpg

Honored Contributor

I read the book years ago and it's still my favorite trash read! The only thing that bugged me was that in the book the character of Anne was a blond and Barbara Parkins was not! But it's a fun cheesy movie to watch.

Respected Contributor

@beach-mom I watch it every time it's on.  I love the 3 main actresses, Barbara Parkins, Patty Duke and Sharon Tate, as well as the supporting cast and music.  I never knew that Patty Duke could sing!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Patty couldn't sing.

Patty's "singing" in the movie was dubbed by Gaille Heidemann.

Respected Contributor

I haven't seen it in many years, but I liked it. Also, read the book back in the day.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Loved the books, the movies were good and fun, especially at that time.  

The closing song in the movie was really good too. Now I just need to remember it! LOL

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

I read the book years ago and it's still my favorite trash read! The only thing that bugged me was that in the book the character of Anne was a blond and Barbara Parkins was not! But it's a fun cheesy movie to watch.

I'd forgotten that!

Every mom on our street was reading the book. So good. Movie was so good, too, but I still think Patty Duke was miscast. What were they thinking. 

I forget-did Dionne Warwick sing the song thru the credits? That song by her gives me chills.