Esteemed Contributor

Re: Valerie Harper Update

[ Edited ]

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@Kachina624   Thanks for the clarification.  I had a misconception that you were put in a home.  I'm wondering if everyone has this choice of inhome care.  Seems as though Tony would be aware of this option.  I'm wondering why he would not accept the help.  I need to do more research so we can make informed decisions.  I appreciate the information.

Maybe because all treatment except for pain managment is stopped.

@CelticCrafter- You are correct,  Hospice is make the patient comfortable as he/she begins the transition from life to death and make it as peaceful as possible.  No more life saving treatment.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@Kachina624   Thanks for the clarification.  I had a misconception that you were put in a home.  I'm wondering if everyone has this choice of inhome care.  Seems as though Tony would be aware of this option.  I'm wondering why he would not accept the help.  I need to do more research so we can make informed decisions.  I appreciate the information.

Shoekitty said.  I think you hit it on the nail!  I bet tha is.  When you do hospice care it is only comfort care.  They do not so transfusions, treatment and that kind of stuff.  Hospice is end of life.  Although hospice is for 6 months, hospice manager said there are some who live longer.  They just end hospice at 6 months, and then sign you in again 24 hrs later.

hospice takes charge of everything.  They prescribe meds, order them, pick them up and arrange with caretaker how to give them.  Hospice nurses come to give onjections of pain meds though.  They offer any religious care or outreach one might want, they order, arrange and pay for beds, oxygen, all medical equipment..walkers, wheelchairs, potty seats, bathing aids.  If the patient cannot get out of bed to shower,  they send hygiene nurse to bathe.  They can order someone to come read, sing, play piano, bring animals to comfort or entertain.  They only thing they do not do is pay for a 24 hour caretaker. Family provides that.  They will however come relieve a caretaker for up to 3 hours. Once in a while. I did not pay one sent.  What I so appreciated was the way they organized moms care and routine, and explained to caretakers.  They did everything so I could concentrate more on mom, and dealing with caretakers.

Esteemed Contributor

@PamfromCT 

above post. 

Believe they finally ....... whatsoever. sorry for the comm. site being non exisited for subj. 

Esteemed Contributor

@NAES1 wrote:

~~~~~
  Correct,
 @CelticCrafter -
 There is no chemo medications (at this stage) to be deemed necessary, nor radiation. She can be kept at home with her husband /friends/family and be around where she is comfortable.
She will be in no pain. There will be a nurse or nurses that do monitor her dosage, her hygiene is taken care of, her urine catheter will be measured, her vitals checked throughout the day. There is nothing extraordinarily different being at home with precise hospice care than being in any hospital hospice room or hospice center.
I have been in homes, many times, when the wish of patient requested being at home. 
 I did this alone with my father. He was never -ever in pain and did want me there when his vision failed hearing my voice and holding my hand.
 Miss Harper's husband has so much love for his wife, he wants to be with her, close as can be, to the end. As @Oznell mentioned ~ how gallant of a man, as he. 
Unless a loved one is with "their" dying family loved patient all through the days, at the hospital or a center, sleeping in a chair next to the patient, there lies the (?) - do you, or you, and you want to be away from all of this until it is over, then being called after....
Death is a strange sensation to witness, as well as an on going serious illness, most do not want to be there every waking hour until a deep sleep occurs, prior to death. I have absolutely no reservations that she and her husband had discussed those months before, and when treatment was not an option anymore. 
There was a poster whose mother just recently died of cancer. Her mother wanted to be at home surrounded by her family and her familiarities of her room ~and what she could see until her life came to an end.
That was her last request and was carried out as wished.
   ~~ Hospice care was there. There was no pain, just being loved with her children ~~
   If one is inclined read of the percentage of in home Hospice care, now.
  She will begin to lose different senses gradually (usually) her hearing is the first. I am sorry for his losing, or anyone else's. 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^                _______________________________________

_______________________________________bingo!

@PamfromCT 

Good grief,  ????? Pam- you had to see this following:

After all that I explained, then - [all] -whoever figures this out after page after page, after reading what I just explained.

Again, GOOD GRIEF.  

These: Not any of my students. For sure!

Armchair's I told you. 

Honored Contributor

Sorry to read this,  it is a tough  situation to go through, but a go fund me page?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

@NAES1 wrote:

@PamfromCT 

Good grief,  ????? Pam- you had to see this following:

After all that I explained, then - [all] -whoever figures this out after page after page, after reading what I just explained.

Again, GOOD GRIEF.  

These: Not any of my students. For sure!

Armchair's I told you. 

Esteemed Contributor

Can someone PLEASE explain what the above "mumbo jumbo" means?  

TIA

Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Sorry to read this,  it is a tough  situation to go through, but a go fund me page?

Thanks for mentioning that.   I was going to say something but I was afraid it would be misconstrued as being heartless.  

I'm very sorry for what she is going through but she was an actress in various sitcoms and on Broadway for years.  I'm sure she made quite a nice living during all of those years.  Even with the obscene medical bills that arise with such a condition surely, they aren't in that bad of financial constraints.  I'm sure she's receiving a pension from the screen actors guild.  I guess it's possible that they exceeded their medical coverage or were denied coverage and that is the reason for needing help.

I read a few months ago in a People's magazine that they had sold their home and bought a condo overlooking the ocean.    In the interview, Valerie talked about how much she enjoyed sitting on the balcony and looking at the water when she was too weak to do much else.

It's such a sad story for someone who gave us so much entertainment enjoyment throughout the years.    I loved her the on MTM show and on her own show called Valerie.   

I think it's wonderful that her husband is being such a support to her during her final days.    

Trusted Contributor

After reading the article and Tony's own words, I tend to agree with @Pook. He's not yet ready to surrender or give up the fight against the cancer, on Valerie’s behalf. Wants the treatments to continue (at the time he posted that statement) though her doctors were advising against that at this point. I find it hard to believe that after this long battle by her side, he wouldn’t understand all of their options available through hospice care. He just doesn’t want to face that this is the beginning of the end yet. So very sad. 

We can't know her wishes any longer, though publicly she has fought gallantly, as @Oznell put it so well. At some point they may have mutually agreed to fight on until the end with chemo, but I won't try to put words in her mouth. 

The Valerie Harper Cancer Support Fund through GoFundMe is currently not accepting new donations. Must have all they need to cover her medical expenses and 24/7 care at this time. Over $66,000 was donated by caring souls.

@goldensrbest - There is much to read there, including the explanation for the initiative at the time it was set up:

“Valerie has been grateful over the years for the medical breakthroughs along this difficult journey but insurance doesn't cover everything. There are unrelenting medical costs on a continuous basis. Valerie is currently taking a multitude of medications and chemotherapy drugs as well as going through extreme physical and painful challenges now with around the clock, 24/7 care immediately needed which is not covered by insurance. This is just part of the daily cost that is without a doubt a financial burden that could never be met alone. This GoFundMe initiative from Tony, is to ensure she receives the best care possible.”

I love the photos of Valerie they chose to use there. Captures her spirit so well. She and her very unique talent will be greatly missed by many. I pray for her and her loved ones' peace.