Trusted Contributor

Re: Valerie Bertinelli and the trolls........

She's always been cute, IMO....

Respected Contributor

Many people struggle with weight issues their entire lives, even though they exercise and don't overeat.  It could be due to genes or a medical condition.  I'm about the same age as VB.  Many women gain weight due to menopause or being less active.  Other people lose weight as they age.  We're all different.

It seems like weight has been an issue for her for most of her life.  The subject is probably a trigger for her emotionally, regardless of where the criticism comes from.

She's always looked great, IMO.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@manny2 wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

I'm laughing at people writing nastiness in their posts condemning @agb80  for being nasty in her post.  More "do as I say, not as I do" behavior. 

@PearleePoster's are not attacking @agb80 they are reacting to her insensitive ignorant post. There is a difference.

@manny2. You are mincing words. The posters criticizing her are being equally mean as their accusations of her being mean.  I don't want to go back and forth with you on this. That is my position.

When I see anyone being mean or hurtful to others, I speak up. They deserve to be called out.  They should be ashamed.

Then along come some people like yourself who call out the people who are trying to stop the hurtful comments by protecting the offender.  Maybe you think we should all just mind our own business and let everyone say what they want...even it it is hurtful.

It is not mean to call out a person who is being rude, offensive or aggressively nasty to others. We have certain expectations of people who live in a civilized society. Going rogue with comments that are intentionally hurtful will get you called out.

I think a certain poster knows this and is baiting us to get a reaction.  

I guess I personally think it's possible to suggest to someone that they're being inconsiderate, insensitive, uncaring... without also being inconsiderate, insensitive, uncaring... When one responds 'in kind' there's really no difference simply because one might have the more pure motive... The behavior is still rude, no matter how kind the intention might have been... Mean is mean, rude is rude, and insensitive is insensitive...

As far as it goes, I don't follow Valerie, but having taken the time to view her video, it appears a single person, who she calls out, indicated she needs to lose weight... Not nice, perhaps, but it would simply not appear this was an entire army of 'trolls' hurling a multiplicity of graphic insults her way about being 'fat', as reading this thread might lead one to believe... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Valerie is a cook and obesity is sometimes  an occupational hazard.  Obviously you are going to gain weight cooking daily on TV, then cooking when you get home. Usually the TV crew eats the food that chefs prepare.  But the chef does too. Some control their weight pretty well (Bobby Flay, Giada, etc)  but some don't (Sunny Anderson, Rachael Ray, Emeril Lagasse, etc)

Honored Contributor

@agb80 wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

@agb80 wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

@agb80 wrote:

When I saw that video of her crying I thought someone had died. 

I was really surprised that she was crying because a troll said she was fat.  What about sticks and stones?

Celebrities know not to read social media and especially someone like her who has been in show business for years. 

After watching, I thought maybe she was trying out for a part. 

She is a grown woman and no one I know would ever do such a humiliating thing to themselves. 

She really embarrassed herself.  No one would have known that some troll called her fat had she not bubbled about it.  

Some people lack all sense of sensitivity.

That's not it at all.  I was ready to support her 100% if she was crying due to a death or an injury in her family.  Also, would have supported a kid because kids can't handle that.  But a grown woman? Come on, think about it!!  @CalminHeart 

I thought about it and stand by what I said. You don't kow what triggers someone else so just be nice and stop with the mean girl.

@CalminHeart but that's just it, she's not a girl she's a grown woman and the troll probably was a young person.  So it just doesn't make any sense to get so upset by what that stranger said to her.  In fact she should have just laughed it off because it's so ridiculous.  VB is 61 years old.  

I wasn't talking about Valerie being a mean girl.

Frequent Contributor

At the risk of being "trolled "as cynical, seems to me so called celebrities love any kind of attention-be it good or bad. It makes them relevant.These precious people are needy.

Sad. Now she can go and have some fat sucked out- surgically tightened and reappear.

Then she can,again, get good press. Life goes on.

Unfortunately I can never get the time back that I used up on this post.

Have a great Sunday.

Respected Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@agb80 wrote:

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

Some posts here have me shaking my head. Have some of you never heard of 'love thy neighbor', the golden rule or 'what goes around comes around'? Such lack of compassion says a lot. 

"If you want to reap kindness, sow kindness."

"If you want a better world, be better."

@ThinkingOutLoud I wasn't conversing with her on social media I hope you realize.  i don't even use it.  I just saw this thread and posted my opinion based on her video cryi and loosing it and then realized she didn't lose a loved one but some person she doesn't know called her fat.  Frankly I have no idea what she looks like these days nor do I care.    

Missed the point entirely. The critcism is the issue, not whether you follow her or know what she looks like these days. What you put into the world matters!

And it doesn't matter whether someone is an actor, reality star, famous person, or someone you love. It makes no difference if they cook, how big or small they are, menopause, pandemic, or anything else. I will never understand the mindset of any person who makes negative comments, observations, or jokes about anyone's appearance or mental state. I read it on these forums on a regular basis. Please, think before you speak.

But positive comments are fine right?  Especially when they brag about weight loss and post pics in a bikini.  I'm sorry but if positive comments are fine so are negative ones.  It goes with the terribory.  If they can't take it - don't post personal stuff.  Especially photos.  So she's gained weight - so what.  Lose some or be prepared for negative comments.  She's obviously too sensitive.  Maybe there are other things in her life really bothering her.

Trusted Contributor

I think we tend to forget celebrities are actual real, feeling, emotional human beings like anyone else. I'm sure the body shaming comment she reacted to was just one in a long line of nastiness aimed her way.

Everyone has their breaking point.

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@manny2 wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

I'm laughing at people writing nastiness in their posts condemning @agb80  for being nasty in her post.  More "do as I say, not as I do" behavior. 

@PearleePoster's are not attacking @agb80 they are reacting to her insensitive ignorant post. There is a difference.

@manny2. You are mincing words. The posters criticizing her are being equally mean as their accusations of her being mean.  I don't want to go back and forth with you on this. That is my position.

When I see anyone being mean or hurtful to others, I speak up. They deserve to be called out.  They should be ashamed.

Then along come some people like yourself who call out the people who are trying to stop the hurtful comments by protecting the offender.  Maybe you think we should all just mind our own business and let everyone say what they want...even it it is hurtful.

It is not mean to call out a person who is being rude, offensive or aggressively nasty to others. We have certain expectations of people who live in a civilized society. Going rogue with comments that are intentionally hurtful will get you called out.

I guess I personally think it's possible to suggest to someone that they're being inconsiderate, insensitive, uncaring... without also being inconsiderate, insensitive, uncaring... When one responds 'in kind' there's really no difference simply because one might have the more pure motive... The behavior is still rude, no matter how kind the intention might have been... Mean is mean, rude is rude, and insensitive is insensitive...

As far as it goes, I don't follow Valerie, but having taken the time to view her video, it appears a single person, who she calls out, indicated she needs to lose weight... Not nice, perhaps, but it would simply not appear this was an entire army of 'trolls' hurling a multiplicity of graphic insults her way about being 'fat', as reading this thread might lead one to believe... 

@stevieb  Thank you. You first paragraph is exactly what my point is. Too bad others don't see it.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@manny2 wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@stevieb  Thank you. You first paragraph is exactly what my point is. Too bad others don't see it.

@Pearlee  It's part and parcel of these boards. No matter the topic or the overall tone of the discussion, many of the sensitivity advocates lose sight of their mantra when it comes to those with whom they disagree. It really is a simple as that. We've all seen it, we all know it and there truly is no denying it.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...