Esteemed Contributor

Re: Valerie Bertinelli and the trolls........

After a certain age, my was at 80, it is hard to lose wdight.  I exercise a lot every day and watch what I eat, but the metabolism won,t move.  I would have to starve, plus I  lost inches, 2" to be exact.

I do treadmill, bike, YOGA weights, 6 days a week and nothing moves, but i,m strong and can do more than most at 85.

So Just do your best.  People that are cruel are unhappy with themselves.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@agb80   I am going to relay a story about my mother to you.  It probably won't change you, but it changed me.

One time, I saw my mother looking into a mirror.  She was feeling her wrinkled face and had sadness in her eyes.  I asked what was the matter.

She said she felt the same inside as she did when she was a young girl.  She had pretty much the same likes and dislikes, she loved the same things and still hated rice.  Then she said she wished she didn't have a mirror.

She  explained that as we get older, only our physical body aged.  It changes what we look like, often so different than what we once looked like.

Then she said, our spirit/soul never ages.  It is forever young.  

She said she did not recognize the old women in the mirror.  It wasn't her.  

I often think about that conversation.  We really don't change to lose our feelings as we age.  Some people are sensitive, some are not.  Some are mean, some kind.  The same things that hurt our feeling when we're are young, hurt our feelings when we are old.

My mother died at age 62.  She was younger than I am now.  She was right.  I don't feel old and age didn't make me less empathetic.  I am still myself.

Being sensitive about certain issues is not acting like a child. It is being human and no two of us are alike.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qvcaddition wrote:

After a certain age, my was at 80, it is hard to lose wdight.  I exercise a lot every day and watch what I eat, but the metabolism won,t move.  I would have to starve, plus I  lost inches, 2" to be exact.

I do treadmill, bike, YOGA weights, 6 days a week and nothing moves, but i,m strong and can do more than most at 85.

So Just do your best.  People that are cruel are unhappy with themselves.

@qvcaddition No one knew about Valerie's weight issues until she talked about them on her twitter account.  I don't use Twitter.  Only saw the silly cry baby from her video.  @Carmie 

Honored Contributor

@agb80 wrote:

@Pearlee I'm not being nasty in my posts.  I think VB is acting like a child. 

@agb80  I know. My comment was about several of the posters commenting about your posts!

Valued Contributor

@agb80 wrote:

Gee, people are just so sensitive.  If someone wants to tell me that I don't look the same from 2019, they'd be right.  Doesn't bother me in the least to be told!  In fact, if it really bothered me that much, I'd start working out again, I'd stop eating goodies (oh not me, nooo, I never eat that stuff) and I'd get my head right to achieve real weight management goals! Cat Surprised

REALLY? Those of us who struggle have never thought of that! 😂 

Esteemed Contributor

The anonymity of the Internet is a scourge of modern life. Lies, hurtful opinions, cruelty, stupidity, insults, ill-founded biases, etc. are the norm on too many sites. I do not read Facebook except to see what my grandchildren are doing. This bulletin board and the Alzheimer's forum are the only places where I post. I've had a few snarky comments thrown at me over the years but they were never so bad that I wanted to leave. Valerie Bertinelli did not deserve those awful comments. She's a beautiful woman. Besides, don't people know the old saying, "Never trust a skinny chef?"

Esteemed Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

@agb80 

To make sure I understand your post...if someone told you that you had gained weight, you would start working out again?  Not because YOU wanted to but because someone else said you had gained weight?

@SurferWifeYou can see @agb80 is one of the insensitive people based on that post. 

Esteemed Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

@agb80 wrote:

Gee, people are just so sensitive.  If someone wants to tell me that I don't look the same from 2019, they'd be right.  Doesn't bother me in the least to be told!  In fact, if it really bothered me that much, I'd start working out again, I'd stop eating goodies (oh not me, nooo, I never eat that stuff) and I'd get my head right to achieve real weight management goals! Cat Surprised

Blaming the victim? It has nothing to do with being sensitive. It's mean, unkind, and rude of those who make such comments.  

Plus @CalminHeart it's just none of @agb80 , or anyone's business what Valerie weighs, or what I weigh.

Esteemed Contributor

@agb80 wrote:

When I saw that video of her crying I thought someone had died. 

I was really surprised that she was crying because a troll said she was fat.  What about sticks and stones?

Celebrities know not to read social media and especially someone like her who has been in show business for years. 

After watching, I thought maybe she was trying out for a part. 

She is a grown woman and no one I know would ever do such a humiliating thing to themselves. 

She really embarrassed herself.  No one would have known that some troll called her fat had she not bubbled about it.  

@agb80 wrote:

When I saw that video of her crying I thought someone had died. 

I was really surprised that she was crying because a troll said she was fat.  What about sticks and stones?

Celebrities know not to read social media and especially someone like her who has been in show business for years. 

After watching, I thought maybe she was trying out for a part. 

She is a grown woman and no one I know would ever do such a humiliating thing to themselves. 

She really embarrassed herself.  No one would have known that some troll called her fat had she not bubbled about it.  

You are the only one that embarrassed herself @agb80. I suggest all of us stop responding to her post now. She isn't worth the energy. Instead lets support men and women no matter what they are dealing with.

Respected Contributor

People, being very different, will experience compassion differently in that some feel it deeply in more individual or smaller scale ways and others in large scale ways such as sorrow for entire countries but little for individuals.  Clearly reading here there is sorrow for physical loss or illness but not so much for psycholgical pain.  Others will have that compassion in an opposite way or a more balanced way but often it leans one way or the other -- that's just the way people are.

The thing that worries me about the trend in humanity is that it seems to be leaning toward a colder self-protective inability to feel anything except to lash out at strangers and when it comes to these trolls, they send death threats more than ever before.  That VB was told she is fat I guess is mild though cruel, but the troll world has gone quite literally mad and that should concern us all.  Because of that, always go after the troll not the target.

BTW, one of my refrigerator magnets says "Never Trust a Skinny Cook".