Respected Contributor

Re: Valerie Bertinelli and the trolls........

@agb80 wrote:

I think it was extremely disappointing to see someone over dramatize their plight when people are really suffering.  Suffering terribly and not because some internet troll called them fat.  

But her petty and childish rant to some unknown person whose opinions she ended up eliciting by using her social media account is just ludicrous.  

Please read Post #50.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Respected Contributor

Some posts here have me shaking my head. Have some of you never heard of 'love thy neighbor', the golden rule or 'what goes around comes around'? Such lack of compassion says a lot. 

"If you want to reap kindness, sow kindness."

"If you want a better world, be better."

Honored Contributor

We get it-some do not like what she did.  We. Get. It.

Even the poor horse is crying "enough".

No need to keep saying the same thing over and over.

We. Get. It.

*yawn*

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

Some posts here have me shaking my head. Have some of you never heard of 'love thy neighbor', the golden rule or 'what goes around comes around'? Such lack of compassion says a lot. 

"If you want to reap kindness, sow kindness."

"If you want a better world, be better."

@ThinkingOutLoud I wasn't conversing with her on social media I hope you realize.  i don't even use it.  I just saw this thread and posted my opinion based on her video crying and loosing it and then realized she didn't lose a loved one but some person she doesn't know called her fat.  Frankly I have no idea what she looks like these days nor do I care.    

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

People need to quit being so critical of others.  Maybe someone likes themselves just the way they are (too thin, heavier, etc) or they may be going through something that we, of course, are unaware of.  We are a very judgemental society and we need to accept people as they are.  People need to stop and consider, would they want to be judged the way they are judging others?  If we all just accept each other the way we are the world would be a better place.

Honored Contributor

@agb80  I tend to agree with you.  She is a public figure open to people's criticism good and bad.  As someone once said "If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen."

We cannot control people's opinions, only our reactions to them and why perfect strangers should have such an effect on her is bizarre.

I don't watch VB but she does a food show??  If she's so concerned about her weight, maybe not a good choice.

Also I saw a pix of Candice Bergen recently who has put on a few pounds--LOL!!  But she seems to have adjusted to the difference in her appearance which most of us do as we get older.  

Respected Contributor

I watched the video , and felt bad for her. What surprised me ,was she was so sensitive after all the years in the spotlight. Number one i would never read comments about me if i was a celebrity , it is a mean place . She probably just made that troll's day by responding. I hope she doesn't let these idiots get to her in the future , it might make her stronger after she gets past this. Just goes to show , we are all human and our feelings can be hurt , no matter how rich or famous we are.

Honored Contributor

Actually her crying makes me like her all the more.

My favorite people in this world are sensitive souls. Weight is such a catalyst for sensitivity. My entire life I have been sensitive about it. It started in dance class when I was 9 years old. Then years later when I was told by Eileen Ford, that I needed to be 110 pounds to work. There is no way for me to weigh that without developing an eating disorder.  For years my weight is far too important to me. I think, perhaps, Valerie, since childhood has been hearing the same messages that our worth is measured by our weight.

Notice how Yahoo no longer allows comments. Kelly Ripa's daughter Lola was "fried" there for some photos she shared. I was happy to see that right after that debacle Yahoo stopped the comments section...

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

My favorite people in this world are sensitive souls. Weight is such a catalyst for sensitivity. My entire life I have been sensitive about it. It started in dance class when I was 9 years old. Then years later when I was told by Eileen Ford, that I needed to be 110 pounds to work. There is no way for me to weigh that without developing an eating disorder.  For years my weight is far too important to me. I think, perhaps, Valerie, since childhood has been hearing the same messages that our worth is measured by our weight.

Notice how Yahoo no longer allows comments. Kelly Ripa's daughter Lola was "fried" there for some photos she shared. I was happy to see that right after that debacle Yahoo stopped the comments section...

@Trinity11. Really, you liked that?  Yet people would go ballistic here if QVC stopped the forums.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Trinity11. Really, you liked that?  Yet people would go ballistic here if QVC stopped the forums.

@Pearlee , yes, I was sickened by some of the comments that Lola Consuelos probably read. 

I have never seen the amount of vitriol posted here that I used to see on Yahoo. And this forum was a lot like the Wild West before this company took over the forums.