Respected Contributor

Re: Valerie Bertinelli and the trolls........

I am so sick and tired of people apologizing for who they are or something they did (sometimes a very long time ago).  If you are a personality and put yourself ou there there will always be positive and negative comments about you. This is who you are, own it. If you just ignore the "bullies" they will find someone else to critize. Their goal was to get a reaction out of her and they got what they were after. In my opinion she embarrassed herself by reacting to them for all the world to see. 

Esteemed Contributor

I applaud her for putting this out there.  I'm sure she did that for others as well as herself.

So many people, not just women, are body shamed and it's very sad to me.  Just because we are grown women doesn't mean we can't be hurt by words.    My daughter has weight issues due to autoimmune disease and the medications she is on.   Like others have said we don't know what is going through other peoples heads, it's best just to b kind.

Honored Contributor

I totally "get" her.... So what she gained some weight....who has not? Up and down ...who cares. LOVE HER❤️

Honored Contributor

@agb80   Your comments are nasty, mean and lack substance.  

The thread isn't about you and your feelings.  You are not, nor have you been  judged by millions of people on social media in a negative way.

If you think people can turn off their feelings on a dime because they are a certain age or not be hurt because death ( there was a death in her family ) or other life issues and deserve verbal abuse, than you are uneducated about mental health and wellness too. 

"Sometimes it is better to be quiet and be thought a fool, than you open your mouth or post and remove all doubt."

Honored Contributor

@Free2be wrote:

I'm sorry she was so hurt, she seems like such a nice person, so very kind. Probably why ugly people feel so brave to try to hurt her.  

@Free2be   ^^^THIS.

It isn't about the weight-it is about their own self-misery. 

Valerie is a sweet person; I loved her on the Kid's Baking Championship.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Frequent Contributor

@agb80 

You truly need an empathy injection. What's wrong with you? 

Honored Contributor

@KACEE1115 wrote:

People are so cruel. She's a very sweet young woman with a great fabulous career, works hard for everything she has.

She's 61 years old, a little past the "sweet young woman" stage in my opinion.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

This whole thing reminds me of aesop's fable The Boy Who Cried Wolf.  VB cried and people initially thought the worst.  But it was over something juvenile.  Next time she does it, she just might be completely ignored.  I will certainly never take a look at another video of hers.  When you pretend that the sky is falling and it didn't in this case you get the criticism you deserve.  

Trusted Contributor

I have learned not to react to negativity, as this is what they are looking for.  The negative people I feel sorry for them as they have miserable lives and they critical and mean to others to make themselves feel good.  Wish they could just find inner peace and love people no matter what we look like.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kimbobimbo wrote:

@agb80 

You truly need an empathy injection. What's wrong with you? 

@kimbobimbo  Well that certainly wasn't very nice either.  People can express opinions that differ from yours and not have something wrong with them. Your post is as bad as you think hers is. 

And by the way I do not agree with @agb80 's post.