Honored Contributor

Val Harper Tribute Today 9/8

Just a reminder today ME TV will air special episodes of MTM and Rhoda from 5 to 8 PM ET. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Val Harper Tribute Today 9/8

Thanks for the reminder. I will be watching.

The first episode being shown was shown on FE TV recently. It is an excellent choice to be shown as a tribute to Valerie Harper. 

Isn't it ironic how things turned out. Who would have expected Mr Grant would have outlived both Mary Tyler Moore and Valerie Harper. He does seem like he is made from a sturdy stock.

Respected Contributor

Decades TV is having tributes all next week after the MTM show.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

Thanks for the reminder. I will be watching.

The first episode being shown was shown on FE TV recently. It is an excellent choice to be shown as a tribute to Valerie Harper. 

Isn't it ironic how things turned out. Who would have expected Mr Grant would have outlived both Mary Tyler Moore and Valerie Harper. He does seem like he is made from a sturdy stock.

Dont forget Bertty White who is older than Ed Asner!!

Honored Contributor

@catter70 wrote:

We used to get Decades TV but then earlier this year FIOS dropped it. If you go to the Decades website it says that Decades in "over the air" in my area. I am guessing that means I have to use an antenna.

But if you look up "over the air" TV stations it lists Me TV and Antenna TV. I get both of those stations with FIOS. I don't get it. Is it because FIOS picked up those stations?

If I buy an antenna will I have to buy a new TV to hook the antenna on? As you can clearly tell - I don't get it.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

@catter70 wrote:

We used to get Decades TV but then earlier this year FIOS dropped it. If you go to the Decades website it says that Decades in "over the air" in my area. I am guessing that means I have to use an antenna.

But if you look up "over the air" TV stations it lists Me TV and Antenna TV. I get both of those stations with FIOS. I don't get it. Is it because FIOS picked up those stations?

If I buy an antenna will I have to buy a new TV to hook the antenna on? As you can clearly tell - I don't get it.

Here is what happened with Decades. Most of the Decades stations were owned by CBS, and they gave up the rights to it last Sept, so most of us lost Decades, I have Comcast and lost it. Over the Air just means it is available with no cable type of system, but your TV would have to NOT be hooked up to FIOS to receive it. 

Super Contributor

Thank you for the reminder. I was reading on People.com that they laid Valerie to rest on Saturday. May she rest in peace. I loved the Mary Tyler Moore show as a child and watched every Saturday night. I will be watching MeTV this afternoon.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

4 MTM episodes (rhoda loses weight, rhoda loses her job, rhodas mom wants to be her best friend, rhodas apartment catches on fire) and 2 RHODA episodes (her 2 part wedding).

i wish we still had the DECADES channel!

Valerie Harper has been laid to rest.

A funeral service was held yesterday in Los Angeles from 12 p.m. to 2 p.m. at Hollywood Forever Cemetery.

Among the attendees was director James L. Brooks and actors Elliott Gould, Frances Fisher, Connie Stevens, and Joely Fisher. The service was kept to a smaller gathering "otherwise everyone would have wanted to attend," a source tells Entertainment Tonight. During the gathering, Fisher read a letter from Diane Ladd who was not able to attend.

Valerie’s daughter, Cristina Cacciotti, was also in attendance and spoke at the service.

Valerie was clear before she passed away that this funeral service was meant to be a celebration. Everyone was instructed to wear color, no black. All attendees were also asked to bring a yellow rose to lay on the casket.

The service was filled with tears and laughter, especially when Harper’s daughter, Cristina Cacciotti, shared loving words about her mother’s much-celebrated toughness during her cancer battle.

“I don’t have balls, I have steel ovaries,” Cacciotti recalled her mother saying. Other speakers also recounted Harper’s lifelong acts of charity and political activism.

Throughout Harper’s years-long struggles, Cacciotti, her husband of 32 years, remained by her side. He took it upon himself to ensure that his wife was as comfortable as possible in some of the final moments of her life.

At the time of her diagnosis, doctors told her she only had three months to live, but Harper beat the odds and continued to live well beyond their expectations by six years.
“She was happy every single day,” Harper’s close friend, Sue Cameron, told PEOPLE. “Her goal was to teach everybody with cancer how to live with dignity, and with as much fun as you can.”

“Valerie said, ‘I’m going to have the best time,’” Cameron recalled. “And then she kept on living. She kept giving interviews saying, ‘I’m still here, still having a good time.’”

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Thanks for posting the reminder. I plan to watch.
Honored Contributor

I'm watching the tribute now,  I LOVED The Mary Tyler Moore Show. In my mind I like to think Mary and Valerie are the best of friends like Mary and Rhoda, Mary was there to welcome Valerie, the two of them are catching up.