Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell 

Just happened to sit for a minute and catching the end of Butterfield 8 on TCM. 

After this is over, VIPs comes on.

Two of my favorite guilty pleasure movies.  Never get tired of them...ever!

Elizabeth T. in all her beauty is amazing.  Of course, I'll watch her in almost anything Cat LOL 

I'm on EST so if you are so inclined, you can waste your afternoon.

I'm off to fold clothes and watch Liz!

Honored Contributor

Re: VIPs with Elizabeth Taylor

I think of this film as a "guilty pleasure' also.  Lots of pretty people, fashions, and scenery.

Honored Contributor

I do have to say that Elizabeth Taylor was a truly beautiful woman.  The word beautiful is often said about those who are pretty, cute, or attractive.  Actresses who were/are beautiful are in a category of their own.  Taylor, Sophia Loren, Ava Gardner, Rita Hayworth to name a few , in my opinion  are beauties.  Just my thoughts.

Honored Contributor

I love the VIPS and I never feel guilty about watching a movie or reading a book I enjoy. I have no guilt about pleasure. 🥰

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

I remember the movie  1959 " Suddenly, Last Summer "  with Liz Taylor and Montgomery Clift .  The movie was on TV  in the late 60's  . I was a teen . I can't say that I understood the movie's  complex  controversial  storyline  till , I was much older.

Elizabeth Taylor was beautiful .

Honored Contributor

Rats, missed it this time, @Witchy Woman .  But I actually think I still have it stashed in the list of my recorded movies.  So all is not lost.  Must get my periodic fix of the luxe angst (and light comic farce, almost) of the V.I.P.'s!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@skatting44  I really like the film Suddenly Last Summer. Hepburn, Taylor, Clift and Mercedes McCambridge... Agree, it was a confusing production in some ways, but 'Hollywood' almost never did right by Tennessee Williams, because the themes he often employed were verboten at the time... @Oznell  I don't remember ever having seen the VIP's and unfortunately missed it this time around. All star cast and while I've never been a RIchard Burton fan, would like to see it just because... Maybe next time... With reference to Butterfield 8, mentioned above, I have to agree with Liz, who was quoted as saying 'I still say it stinks'... Not a favorite, though many of the clothes, cars and sets were predictably luxe...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Oh, I think you'd like it, it's huge campy fun, @stevieb .  'La Liz' is ravishing in it, and quite a sympathetic character. Burton is intense, and even Louis Jourdan is good and has some fun and a light touch with his so-called "gigolo" role.

I also love the Margaret Rutherford and Rod Taylor/Maggie Smith sub-plots....