Occasional Contributor

Re: Unsellable Houses on HGTV

I'm from NO:A and I agree.  The realtor was apoece of work/  I could watch or listen to her,  I can't believe HGTV couldn't do better on choosing a realtor.

Esteemed Contributor

I’ve been watching even though I agree that the twins aren’t my favorite. What exactly does the blonde one do? Seems like the brunette makes most of the decisions, including ones that effect their business as a whole.

I read an article some time ago about how the costs are so different - but I can’t remember what it said! I suspect that they have their own work crew and don’t pay 3rd party write ups. Not quite as cheap as doing yourself, but certainly less than paying a separate contractor. Also, they have their own warehouse full of materials that they can pull from. Even the staging items are from their own store (or at least that’s what it looks like to me.)
Esteemed Contributor

This has quickly become one of my favorite shows but I've wondered about their budget many times too.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Trusted Contributor

I think the twins have scale on their side -- they mention that they are the top selling realtors in the Pacific Northwest, selling 170 properties in one year. So, they likely have their own crews and get supplies in bulk and also have their staging warehouse full of items. They are cash-flowing like crazy and I'm sure get good deals from local businesses.

Honored Contributor

I have watched this and the house they were doing was the biggest dump. It was unreal. These ladies are twin sisters.

Trusted Contributor

@Mums at last   I found the New Orleans realtor to be an odd choice, too. I tried to tune in a few times but just couldn't "connect."

Trusted Contributor

@colliemom4 wrote:

I have watched this and the house they were doing was the biggest dump. It was unreal. These ladies are twin sisters.

I like this show,  I am always amazed at how different a house looks.  WIth the crazy realestate market things are going over $100K over asking it's crazy.

The one last night was really a dump.  If I were the owners I would have really been embarrassed.  They could have tried to clean it up before the girls showed up.  They did make a killing.  

My friend's husband is a contractor and he always says there is no way the could do all that work on HGTV for the prices. 

The other show I like on Thursday night (although the young girl can drive you crazy) is the no- rehab show.  She goes in witn $50K and does a great job undating the kitchens and baths and other areas of the house.

Honored Contributor

There's  one, don't  recall the name, with two interesting men that I like, don't even need to mute. The last house  was disheveled with a lot of things in it.

They buy the house and do a theme for it. It's the most creative and the designers the most enjoyable.

Anyone familiar with it?

Respected Contributor

My husband and I were watching lakefront bargain hunt.  They basically did an entire reno on the entire house and had a beautiful, huge floating dock put in that was also like an outdoor living room. All new landscaing, new doors and a total exterior job done to the house as well.  Total transformation, inside and out.  There is no way that the work didn't cost a lot more than what they said they paid for it.  No way.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

There's  one, don't  recall the name, with two interesting men that I like, don't even need to mute. The last house  was disheveled with a lot of things in it.

They buy the house and do a theme for it. It's the most creative and the designers the most enjoyable.

Anyone familiar with it?

@occasionalrain    I think the show you might be thinking about is Bargain Block...rehabing homes in Detroit.