Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@lovesallanimals  Thank you!  I watched that part again last night & again was confused about the "park" scene.

Tonight I plan on binging the rest of the episodes.

Mz Mac:  Watch all the episodes, it will all make sense and come together.  This is only season 1 and since I have no patience to wait a year for season 2, I ordered the book which will probably go into more detail.  But I still look forward to season 2 as the acting by the actress who plays Esther is amazing as well as the actor who plays Yankel.  But the way she shows every emotion, without saying a word, is spellbinding.  She is incredibly gifted.

Honored Contributor

@lovesallanimals Per your recommendation I stsrted watching this yesterday. I can't thank you enough. I probably would have passed but I so glad I didn't.  Great show and loved learning about the culture and social mores therein and the main character is an amazing actress. Her naïveté is both charming and sad at times but her indomitable spirit is inspiring. 

Respected Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

@lovesallanimals Per your recommendation I stsrted watching this yesterday. I can't thank you enough. I probably would have passed but I so glad I didn't.  Great show and loved learning about the culture and social mores therein and the main character is an amazing actress. Her naïveté is both charming and sad at times but her indomitable spirit is inspiring. 

GenXmuse:  You described it perfectly.  Glad you took a chance on this.  I cannot wait to read her whole story to see how everything turned out for her and her baby.  I will probably rewatch it as I find it so uplifting and so tragic at the same time.

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@lovesallanimals  Thank you!  I watched that part again last night & again was confused about the "park" scene.

@Mz iMac I was confused about that too at first.  It is her mother and it's explained later.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

Thanks so much from me too,I just saw Part One and had no idea that woman was her mother either. So, the 2 names on the door must have been the mother and her partner?

Honored Contributor

@lovesallanimals wrote:

Is anyone watching this?  I just binged watched the first season and it was amazing.  This is based on a true story and it is just heartbreaking in so many ways.  I know the Williamsburg area of Brooklyn as I am a New Yorker but did not know where the Satmar Jews came from (Hungary) and why they are obsessed with having as many children as possible.  It is incredible in this day and age, in NY, how women are treated.  It is very insightful and the woman whose story this is based on is incredibly brave and strong for a 19 year old.  Truly an incredible bio.   I did not want to wait for next season so I ordered the book which I am sure will go into more indepth detail.

@lovesallanimals   DH and I watch it all in one shot...loved it! BTW, there's also a 20 minute documentary about the making of UNORTHODOX...a must watch. 

Honored Contributor

Netflex called this a "limited" series.  This usually means 1 shot only.  Doubtful there will be a season 2.  I find this strange because this series left a lot of things hanging.

Excellent series btw.  I binged watched for 2 nights.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

Netflex called this a "limited" series.  This usually means 1 shot only.  Doubtful there will be a season 2.  I find this strange because this series left a lot of things hanging.

Excellent series btw.  I binged watched for 2 nights.

Mz iMac: Oh no, I hope they have a season 2 as there is still so much I want to know.  How does she get a divorce? what happens to her child?  etc., etc. what does she do with her life now?  There are so many possibilities for her once she breaks away for good.  Well, I am glad I ordered  the book but am still waiting for it.   Should be here soon.