Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Is anyone watching this?  I just binged watched the first season and it was amazing.  This is based on a true story and it is just heartbreaking in so many ways.  I know the Williamsburg area of Brooklyn as I am a New Yorker but did not know where the Satmar Jews came from (Hungary) and why they are obsessed with having as many children as possible.  It is incredible in this day and age, in NY, how women are treated.  It is very insightful and the woman whose story this is based on is incredibly brave and strong for a 19 year old.  Truly an incredible bio.   I did not want to wait for next season so I ordered the book which I am sure will go into more indepth detail.

Valued Contributor

My husband and I watched the first season today.  Excellent.  Loved it!!  

Respected Contributor

All of my friends watched it and loved it. They are waiting for me to watch and have a discussion.

Thanks , ladies , for reminder of this show, we just moved to a new house and I do not have my Netflix back again.

Shtisel was a fabulous show too, I cannot wait for a new season.

Honored Contributor

Fascinating & well done! I enjoyed it so much that I binge watched it and read the autobiography of Deborah Feldman who the series is loosely based on.  

Shira Hass plays the main character in Unorthodox and was also a strong character in the Israeli series Shtisel which I also enjoyed very much! Both series are on Netflix.

Respected Contributor

Shira Hass is incredible!

Respected Contributor

Thank you for writing about Shtisel.  I will now put this on my list on Netflix.

Trusted Contributor

@lovesallanimals 

Thx for the recommendation, I'll check it out. Looking for something to binge on. 

⚓️
Honored Contributor

@lovesallanimals   I watched episode 1 but have a question......

After she left the airpoirt & was sitting in the park, was that her mother who was meeting her partner?  If so, the mother was not expecting her daughter?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@lovesallanimals   I watched episode 1 but have a question......

After she left the airpoirt & was sitting in the park, was that her mother who was meeting her partner?  If so, the mother was not expecting her daughter?

Mz Mac:  That is correct.  That was her mother.  She had no idea her daughter left and was now in Berlin.  I think when Esther saw her mom and partner kiss, she most have felt awkward and maybe also unwelcome.  Keep watching, it just gets better and better and explains the real reason why her mother "abandoned" her (do no want to spoil it for you).

Honored Contributor

@lovesallanimals  Thank you!  I watched that part again last night & again was confused about the "park" scene.

Tonight I plan on binging the rest of the episodes.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif