Honored Contributor

USA Channel THE BIGGEST LOSER is back January 28

[ Edited ]

https://www.eonline.com/news/1110832/how-the-biggest-loser-has-changed-for-2020

They are updating the  Format for 2020.  The last time the show aired was 2016.  The hope is to focus more on weight loss and health rather than just weight loss on its own. 

First of all, the elimination process has changed. Instead of a series of votes, the person who loses the smallest amount of weight will be eliminated. 

Olander said they did look at the competition element of the show, and decided that it was "only part of the storytelling of the show." 

"It's a motivating factor for the contestants, but also it's part of their story and their transformation as well, sort of the failures and the successes both that we saw this season impacted you know who they were from the start of the show to the end." 

Another major change, which is a response to the issue of contestants struggling after the show, is that there's now a focus on an enhanced "aftercare package," which will give even the contestants eliminated early the tools to continue a "healthy lifestyle." That aftercare package includes a gym membership, a nutritionist, and guidance towards

Respected Contributor

Re: USA Channel THE BIGGEST LOSER is back January 28

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden 

Thanks for the reminder.  I enjoy watching Bob Harper work with his contestants.  

It's also good that they are providing a support system after the show is finished.  Very few people are able to keep the weight off long term. Sometimes when the weight loss happens at such a drastic pace, it messes up a person's metabolism going forward. I wonder how long the support system is in place after the show concludes?  The winner that rebounded horribly was Allie.  She had a product line of weight loss items she sold on QVC.  Her success was short-lived.   Such a big splash and then a crash.

I do admire any person in this situation that is able to put their personal issues and body out there to be viewed by everyone.  I think they should make the contestants wear more clothes when they put them on the scales.  Ugh, cover it up people!  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jpie wrote:

@SeaMaiden 

Thanks for the reminder.  I enjoy watching Bob Harper work with his contestants.  

It's also good that they are providing a support system after the show is finished.  Very few people are able to keep the weight off long term. Sometimes when the weight loss happens at such a drastic pace, it messes up a person's metabolism going forward. I wonder how long the support system is in place after the show concludes?  The winner that rebounded horribly was Allie.  She had a product line of weight loss items she sold on QVC.  Her success was short-lived.   Such a big splash and then a crash.

I do admire any person in this situation that is able to put their personal issues and body out there to be viewed by everyone.  I think they should make the contestants wear more clothes when they put them on the scales.  Ugh, cover it up people!  

@jpie  Yes...the way they expose the fat on the show is a lot like on the show my 600 pound life and the bathroom shower scenes....I suppose the audience sees it as titillation of sorts....the Freak show mind set of human nature.    Really kind of cruel and sick. 

Honored Contributor

Won't watch this.

Respected Contributor

Have any of these past participants been able to maintain their weight loss? That'd be interesting to know.

What worries you masters you.
Esteemed Contributor

I've watched it in the past and wondered if the weight gain had anything to do with rapid weight loss. Less competitive and more enlightening would be nice for both contestants and viewers. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am curious if they will incorporate  intermittent fasting and a lower carbohydrate way of eating.  it seems that the “calories in equals calories out” and “fat is bad”  approach did not work for the majority of the previous contestants.  We know that there is no magic plan that fits everyone.  Hopefully they will let the contestants choose an eating plan that they feel will help them lose weight and they can continue after the program ends.  

Esteemed Contributor

I watched last night and had a few concerns. These contestants are extremely overweight. All of them have not exercised and are put through extreme exercising. I wonder how their body can tolerate these extremes.

Last night one man lost 22 pounds in one week. Many lost 6 - 14 pounds. I wonder how this fast of weight loss could affect your heart and other organs. Many were struggling just to get through these exercises. It almost seemed masochistic.

The man who lost gets one year with a trainer and nutritionist. The one that looses the most on his own would win $25,000.  I would prefer this to being on TV doing grueling  exercises. 

This show seems so degrading to the person. It does not talk about diet. They give them physicals and discuss their negatives affecting their health. They discuss what caused them to become overweight. It is all in the mind and how you view your life going forward.

Respected Contributor

I don't see much difference in this new version and the old one. The trainers say all the right words, but I wonder what the contestants are eating and if they get enough counseling. The one guy lost 22 lbs the first week and 10lbs in week two. But he was disappointed, that's not the right mindset. 
Lose it fast, regain it fast.