Respected Contributor

Re: US on Masterpiece Theater on PBS

I usually love Masterpiece shows but this one was the exception.  I really tried to like it but the more I watched the worse it got.  Admittedly I did not get past about 30 minutes.

Respected Contributor

@daisyk 

They edited out entire scenes.  One I clearly remember was when Dimelza's father and friends came to beat Ross.  They edited out the scene of Prudy going to Trenwith to get help.  

I cannot understand why they edit these shows, but they do. 

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

@4kitties wrote:

@daisyk 

They edited out entire scenes.  One I clearly remember was when Dimelza's father and friends came to beat Ross.  They edited out the scene of Prudy going to Trenwith to get help.  

I cannot understand why they edit these shows, but they do. 

PBS almost always cut British Shows.  That's why I buy the DVD versions of them, and purchase only ITV ir BBC Productions. I rarely watch PBS.

The reason is because of time.  It needs to fit an hour or 2 hours.  Not 90 minutes, etc. Sometimes nude scenes are cut.  (British TV is not fussy about that)  Sometimes it is cut so much, you don't recognize the plot (Continuity is left out)  Especially puzzling are mysteries.  You don't know how the dective got the guilty one in the first place.

Honored Contributor

@songbird  What have you found to be the best resource for obtaining these DVDs?

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

Doc Martin filming was delayed last year because of covid.  Hopefully, it will be completed this year.  It will be the final year of the series.😢

I've watched reruns so many times I find myself saying  the lines with the characters.