Valued Contributor

Re: US on Masterpiece Theater on PBS

I watched it too, big disappointment. I'm so sick of over a month of fund-raising and was looking forward to some new shows today. I'll probably watch to see how it ends, but I really thought it was dumb.

How would she stay married to a man she suddenly realizes has no ability to relate to, both her and their son. The son is 17! Suddenly she tries giving her husband how to relate to him? What was going on for 17 years.

Just didn't make sense and just drags on.

Honored Contributor

@cornicopia wrote:

I have had more time to investigate this show since I originally posted.  It looks like it will be a pretty good drama/comedy.

It is about a 20 years married couple with a son about to go off to college.  They are going on a long-planned tour of Europe even though the wife wants a divorce.

It is based on a novel by a best-selling author, David Nicholls.

UK's The Daily Telegraph called it a "brilliantly witty and heartfelt drama about a family on the edge."

Thanks for posting this.  I watched it and enjoyed it.  I usually watch 90 day but I am tired of that show.  So it was nice to find something elseSmiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for mentioning the show. So far I'm enjoying it. It is a bit slow, but I'm enjoying the scenery and I like the human drama aspect. A lot of the shows now are so action oriented. Netflix shows are great for throwing in disturbing things. This is good for me. 

Honored Contributor

@Ceci wrote:

I watched it too, big disappointment. I'm so sick of over a month of fund-raising and was looking forward to some new shows today. I'll probably watch to see how it ends, but I really thought it was dumb.

How would she stay married to a man she suddenly realizes has no ability to relate to, both her and their son. The son is 17! Suddenly she tries giving her husband how to relate to him? What was going on for 17 years.

I agree here, the PBS stations have given weekend afternoons to pledging with the same tired reruns they have been using for years, and have lost me as a viewer.

and anything new they run as a fundraiser like the Hemingway,  i record and FF 

they need a new model 

Honored Contributor

also there is so much UK TV that could be put on Masterpiece, altough I think it might have gone to streamers like Acorn/Britbox 

Respected Contributor

I have just about given up on Masterpiece.  I dearly loved Downton Abbey and Poldark, and expect the same quality on future series they show.   Boy have I been disappointed..............

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Respected Contributor

Nice travelogue photography; irritating characters.

Honored Contributor

Too slow-moving to keep my interest.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jackthebear wrote:

@Ceci wrote:

I agree here, the PBS stations have given weekend afternoons to pledging with the same tired reruns they have been using for years, and have lost me as a viewer.

and anything new they run as a fundraiser like the Hemingway,  i record and FF 

they need a new model 

Well said and yes they need to rethink their operation. Despite numerous outlets in my area, PBS is becoming increasingly irrelevant. Programming has been dreadful for the better part of the past year, when we could have really used some quality television. Decades old reruns and an overabundance of European dramas with subtitles, together with seemingly endless prime-time fund raising have become the order of the day. In the past I made a significant contribution to one of the local PBS stations, but not this time. I can't see where funds raised have netted worthwhile additions and up to date series of popular favorites, and, as far as it goes, Masterpiece has consistently fallen on hard times, with most of the shows so labeled hardly deserving of the name. This is just the latest in a long line of 'Masterpiece' presentations that were hardly masterpieces.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

I enjoyed the scenery...many areas I have seen on other foreign shows!  Must be certain locations in certain cities that make good visuals!  I found the show very tedious...weird characters and story.  Will watch next week, but probably not stay with it.