Respected Contributor

Re: US on Masterpiece Theater on PBS

Well, this show wasn't my favorite PBS series. But, I'll keep watching it.  It actually started to get interesting at the end.

I guess I'm probably comparing everything PBS offers now to the wonderful and most enjoyable series of "Downton Abbey", but I can't help myself, lol.

"Downton Abbey" was one of my all time favorites and I could never wait until Sunday nights, curled up on the couch, with a cup of coffee in hand to watch it.  It never disappointed me and I was "hungry" in waiting for the next week's episode.  Sigh......those were the days, lol.

I wish Julian Fellows would consider expanding "Downton Abbey" and bring the series back to PBS.  I know they are doing movies now which brings in more money (Downton Abbey movie #2 should be out this year).....but, I can dream, can't I?

Contributor

Wasn't too sure about it at first, particularly that flashback to the dinner party, but the scene took an interesting turn and I decided to stick with it.  I like that the exteriors were shot on location (not sure about all of the interiors), and I like that the characters are shown in the act of traveling -- riding the train, walking, cycling, etc.  I also like that the characters aren't wholly sympathetic or unsympathetic.  I especially appreciate the depiction of the conflict between a very orderly, well-planned approach to travel and a more spontaneous approach.  When I travel, I find myself trying to strike a balance between the two approaches.

Honored Contributor

I've been watching Masterpiece and Masterpiece Mystery for years. I have never understood the opening statement of how 'masterpiece theater has been made possible by the endowments of (a whole list of people).' Wouldn't that mean they paid for it so why are they always asking us for money? Unclear to me.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wanted to make donations to them because of how very much I loved Downton Abbey and Poldark but decided not to.  They edited both Downton, and Poldark.  Sometimes it was obvious to me in Poldark.  

Since I had to buy the DVDs to see the proper, entire series, I decided I would not give them one cent.😤😤😤😤😤😤

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

@4kitties 

I don't donate for the same reason and let PBS know. We are being cheated by receiving less, sometimes 20 minutes less, than the British. 

Honored Contributor

It would be nice to see Doc Martin on again.  

Trusted Contributor

@

@4kitties wrote:

I wanted to make donations to them because of how very much I loved Downton Abbey and Poldark but decided not to.  They edited both Downton, and Poldark.  Sometimes it was obvious to me in Poldark.  

Since I had to buy the DVDs to see the proper, entire series, I decided I would not give them one cent.😤😤😤😤😤😤

@4kitties Interesting...what kind things did they edit out? 

Honored Contributor

@daisyk 

Entire scenes were removed. 

Honored Contributor

When my PBS station took off the Poirot re-runs I let them know that's why I won't be contributing again.

Trusted Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

@daisyk 

Entire scenes were removed. 

Oh Wow, I loved Poldark, I might need to get the DVD set in that case.