Honored Contributor

You touched on so many points that make it a must-see for me too, @twinsister,  including your opinion of George Maharis!  He was so cute and had a very appealing energy.  I'm sorry he didn't stay the full length of the series-- I think he may have wanted out in order to make films. 

The other thing was, it must have been draining and a real workout to land in a different city, one right after another, do your filming, and then start up all over again the next week in a completely different place... 

With these series, I love seeing the manners that were more expected and displayed then.  The way people politely said "How do you do" upon being introduced, the way men stood up for women when they entered the room or left the table, and some people even stood up when anyone older entered the room.  Love all that!  So courtly and civilized. 

As you know, another show that was great for that is "Perry Mason".   The character of Perry had a certain formality, and beautiful manners and of course, faultless grammar.  A pleasure to listen to! 

Honored Contributor

Love Rt. 66 and used to watch it when it was on TV.  The show is also on METV in my area and has been for awhile.  Add that to all the other great shows they have on and you have much to see in the nostalgia dept.  

I'm glad, Oznell, you mentioned the theme song.  I posted about that along the way and said how great the theme song is, so enjoyable.  I have had it on a CD for years with other favorite theme songs from movies and TV.  It definitely fits the show too.

Honored Contributor

Yeah, @spiderw, it's so interesting that that lilting song is so much part of people's fond feelings about the show....

Ah, so you get the show on MeTV.  My MeTV channel doesn't carry it (as far as I know).  Can you believe that?  They love to forego some of the national programming on this local channel, and substitute really TERRIBLE local programming, esp. on weekends.  It is so annoying.  So "Route 66" must be one of the ones they chopped.  They did the same thing with "The Streets of San Francisco"....

Esteemed Contributor

I'll have to watch for it.  I can see part of Route 66 from my back window.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell - TY for posting this!

I never saw the show and don't "know" the actors, but they are two cute guys - especially the blond one, which explains why I'm married to someone who looks like the dark haired one! LOL! Smiley Wink

I will definitely look for this on Prime. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Oznell !!

I must apologize for my Rt. 66 comment in that it is on MeTV.  It was but now isn't!!!  I just went through the channel information.  I think they put 77 Sunset Strip on in its place, love that one too!  Hopefully 66 will return along the way but they do change their shows often on Me TV as I noticed.  I am happy to see Thriller being shown narrated by Boris Karloof.  My sister and I watched that faithfully and there were some good scary shows.  I have the DVR taping all the episodes and will enjoy them again.  

I think the variety of shows on this TV station has something for everyone.  In my opinion compared to the reality shows, which I dislike, MeTV is a refreshing way to be entertained on TV.

Respected Contributor

Martin Milner (Tod) passed away in 2015, but George Maharis (Buzz) is still living & is 90 years old.

Honored Contributor

@aubnwa01, I love it when long-time actors who've given so much pleasure in the past, are still here-- that's good to know about George Maharis.

Both Milner and Maharis had long careers, with Milner scoring again in "Adam-12",  but their outing in "Route 66" was so soulful and memorable.  There's something universally appealing about the "lure of the open road" and all the possibilities it presents, I guess...

Trusted Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Oh, how could I have forgotten--  here's Nelson Riddle's acclaimed light, cool, jazzy theme for the series!  It was very much a big part of the whole mystique of the show.  Here it is playing over the credits while "Tod" and "Buz" are cruising into spectacular ski country:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw1tiNGQ4wI

Love the music. Enjoy how they are cruising through the snow covered mountain areas with their convertible. Oh my, that would be quite cold! 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Teddie wrote:

@Oznell wrote:

Oh, how could I have forgotten--  here's Nelson Riddle's acclaimed light, cool, jazzy theme for the series!  It was very much a big part of the whole mystique of the show.  Here it is playing over the credits while "Tod" and "Buz" are cruising into spectacular ski country:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw1tiNGQ4wI

Love the music. Enjoy how they are cruising through the snow covered mountain areas with their convertible. Oh my, that would be quite cold! 

Nah, we used to do it-mid winter. Top down, heater blasting on Hi. Those were the days.