Honored Contributor

Re: U.S. Figure Skating Championships are On

If you miss it, watch Nathan doing his routine to Rocket Man on youtube.

I think that is where he does 6 spins, not a quad not 5 but 6!

Plus it is also beautiful and elegant so he doesn't sacrfice anything for the incredible jumpsSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

The championships are also being shown on the Olympic channel in different time slots.  I have always enjoyed the skating presentations.  I did a bit of ice skating in my teens...mostly for exercise and great way to meet young males!! 

I may be in the minority, but I don't like Bradie's skating style.  She has the physical skills, but I hate those arms flapping all the times!  Am liking the dou skaters events much more than the singles skater events.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Nathan Chen's short program was perfection.  How will anyone else top him?

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

No one will ever top Nathan's skating and the rest are playing for silver and bronze. He is 20 points ahead of the next best skater. He is so magical to watch.

And I also liked the women's finals last night. @corita, I am not of fan of Bradie, either. She is not a pretty skater for my eyes to watch. I feel like one good fall and she will break every bone in her body, so it is not comfortable for me to watch. I love the winner. She is so adorable.

Trusted Contributor

My favorite in the ladies competition last night was Mariah. (can't remember

her last name)

Mens - I've always like Jason Brown.  Quad or no quad,

long hair or short, he's enjoyable to watch

Respected Contributor

@yellowrose 

Me too!  Just love Jason Brown!  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Trusted Contributor

I have said this on another thread, but I hope skating can somehow change the scoring system.  Women skaters have in the last two years added triple axels and quads.  Most that are able to do these difficult jumps are very young and very small.  The young girl Alisha that won is good, but not the entire package.  Mariah and Braddie (who fell on a jump)  presented jumps and artistry.  A skater can come in and throw in a few quads and a triple axel and out score another that did seven lower jumps but performed beautifully.  If figure skating is now only about jumping then change it to who can do the most highest level jumps and forget the rest.  This has also played out on the women's international scene.  I have watched skating my entire life (60 years) and it makes me sad and in the future uninterested in watching a women's sport where artistry is no longer important. What do the other female skaters do?  Mariah can only win if she is able to add quads.  At her age that will be difficult to impossible.  I don't want to watch a lot of 13 year old girls just doing quads.  Anyway off my soap box for the day..................

Esteemed Contributor

@TurnerGal wrote:

I have said this on another thread, but I hope skating can somehow change the scoring system.  Women skaters have in the last two years added triple axels and quads.  Most that are able to do these difficult jumps are very young and very small.  The young girl Alisha that won is good, but not the entire package.  Mariah and Braddie (who fell on a jump)  presented jumps and artistry.  A skater can come in and throw in a few quads and a triple axel and out score another that did seven lower jumps but performed beautifully.  If figure skating is now only about jumping then change it to who can do the most highest level jumps and forget the rest.  This has also played out on the women's international scene.  I have watched skating my entire life (60 years) and it makes me sad and in the future uninterested in watching a women's sport where artistry is no longer important. What do the other female skaters do?  Mariah can only win if she is able to add quads.  At her age that will be difficult to impossible.  I don't want to watch a lot of 13 year old girls just doing quads.  Anyway off my soap box for the day..................

---------------

Agree about the jumps being a necessity to score big.  To my eye, the jumps show physical talent, but not necessarily artistic, lyrical skating skills. This jumping requirement has made me lose interest in singles skating.

But I disagree about Bradie's skating.  For me, it is her arm movements.  Reminds of a duck trying to fly off  the lake water.....

Honored Contributor

The artistry remains in ice dancing. However, if you're going to classify ice skating as a sport than athletic ability, jumps, spins, should out score artistry. The men are scored the same. A skater who excels in both will out score the just jumper and the just artistic.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

So great to see Gracie Gold healthy and back on the ice!

Did anyone notice she was wearing a JULEP sweatshirt during an interview in the Kiss and Cry area?

I looked it up and she is doing a promotion with JULEP Cosmetics. Heart