Honored Contributor

Tyler Perry's Nephew Gavin Porter Found Dead In Prison

[ Edited ]

Tyler Perry's nephew Gavin Porter has died at the age of 26.

According to TMZ, Gavin appears to have taken his own life after getting into a fight with another inmate.

Sources told the outlet, Tyler's nephew was found dead in his cell Tuesday evening (February 26) at a prison facility near St. Helena Parish in Louisiana. Gavin's immediate family — Tyler's sister, who's Gavin's mom — was reportedly told by prison officials that he'd hanged himself with a bedsheet while in solitary confinement.

Over the weekend, Gavin had gotten into a fight with another inmate and was placed in solitary, insiders told TMZ. Adding, around 6 PM on Tuesday, guards checked on Gavin and found nothing of concern. However, when they came back at 8 PM, they found Gavin dead.

While his family was told there was no foul play in his death, sources told TMZ, Gavin's family isn't necessarily convinced.

In 2016, Gavin was arrested for shooting and killing his biological father, in front of his mother, following an argument between the two. He pled no contest to manslaughter and was sentenced to 20 years, the outlet reports

iheart.com

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Tyler Perry's Nephew Gavin Porter Found Dead In Prison

far, far more peop!e die by suicide than the flu or coronavirus, etc. The suicide rate is a REAL national public health emergency. Very sad.

Esteemed Contributor

ReWha: Tyler Perry's Nephew Gavin Porter Found Dead In Prison

What a sad story. I feel bad for all involved. 

Honored Contributor

Re: ReWha: Tyler Perry's Nephew Gavin Porter Found Dead In Prison

Sounds like he was a very angry young person...such a waste of life...his life and the life of his a Father who he murdered.🙁

Honored Contributor

Re: ReWha: Tyler Perry's Nephew Gavin Porter Found Dead In Prison

TP himself came from a very dysfunctional upbringing, talk about someone pulling himself up by his boot straps! Sorry to hear about his nephew, too bad TP could not have stepped in with his nephew before all this went down.

Honored Contributor

That's sad.  Sad for him, sad for his family.  My guess is, he had a lot of sadness and  trouble in his young life.

Honored Contributor

Yes. Tyler Perry is an amazing man to have overcome a lot of negative stuff in his background to become a great success.  I always enjoy seeing him interviewed and admire him greatly for what he has accomplished for himself.  He also always strikes me as a nice guy.