Respected Contributor

We use Roku, Netflix and Amazon for tv. I admit I don't use Netflix much so am debating canceling it for Hulu, sling or something else. We do get ABC but do get it CBS and NBC on antenna. I miss my news channels like cnn, msnbc. 
Any advice on a service? DH is grumbling about how cutting the cord was supposed to save money but we pay about the same with roku, Netflix, amazon.

Honored Contributor

@traveler I like Sling a lot.

It has all the major channels and msnbc, cnn, fox, plus many others.

I think you can look at what they offer on each individual site. At least for Sling you can.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

I have to agree that by the time you pay for the streaming services and Internet you are paying the same amount as cable + internet.  

We have had Netflix but I am canceling it in favor of Hulu.  I have a hard time scrolling trhough everything on Netflix to find a movie.  I signed up for Hulu and Disney+ at the beginning of March (good timing I guess) and found it much easier to navigate through Hulu and find something.  

Respected Contributor

Thanks ladies

Respected Contributor

Is that regular Hulu or Hulu + Live TV?

Valued Contributor

@traveler  We use Hulu Live TV for our streaming servivce and we like it very much. It has plenty of channels (including the ones you mentioned) and it's a lot cheaper than what we were paying for cable tv. We don't have smart tv's so we use a roku. You don't need the highest speed internet like some people might tell you. We don't and our streaming is good.

My suggestion would be to try the free trial most streaming services offer. We tried the 7 day free trial with Hulu Live last year before we dropped out cable tv. (YouTube Tv has a free trial period and you could check to see if Sling does too). We are saving about $100 a month and have no intention of going back to cable.

Honored Contributor

@traveler wrote:

We use Roku, Netflix and Amazon for tv. I admit I don't use Netflix much so am debating canceling it for Hulu, sling or something else. We do get ABC but do get it CBS and NBC on antenna. I miss my news channels like cnn, msnbc. 
Any advice on a service? DH is grumbling about how cutting the cord was supposed to save money but we pay about the same with roku, Netflix, amazon.

I'm the wrong person to ask. I was thinking of just getting internet and getting a live streaming service (YouTubeTV, Hulu Live TV, Sling). I signed up for a 2 week trial for YouTubeTV ( you do have to give any service a credit card for a free trial just remember to cancel if you don't like it). I had YouTubeTV for 10 minutes and cancelled! I didn't like the set up and the lag time behind cable was long. You can try free trials of the streaming services to see what you like. To me it wasn't a good fit, I like TV, I would rather cut back on something other than TV.

Honored Contributor

google USTVGO..... free live streaming channels, including some major new network channels.....msnbc, fox, cnbc, weather channel, and more.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

also FREE......check out 123TV.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@traveler wrote:

I don't know if this might help, but if you have Sprint as your cell phone carrier, Hulu is free.  Now, it's the one with commercials but the ads are really not bad at all.   It's like you can go to the bathroom OR go to the kitchen and grab another water.  Smiley Very Happy    IIRC, as it's been a while, you just go onto your Sprint account and there is a thing there to sign up and load it.  I loaded it onto my Tivo and my Roku w/o any probs.  Hopefully, that might help somebody to know.  Smiley Happy

I have Tivos, so I don't watch commercials much and they can be annoying but the ads on Hulu don't even bother me.  Definitely shorter than a commercial segment on live tv.

I have the free Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon and, to be honest, I've thought about maybe dropping one because I can barely, or not, keep up with the shows I've recorded off live tv.   But the Amazon  has so many more benefits and the cost of Netflix is so little that I just leave it and know I have it there when I need it.