Honored Contributor

INSP Sets Premiere Date for Turquoise Fever

Reality Docuseries Bows on Wednesday, August 14th at 9PM ET

“All that glitters isn’t gold,” and audiences will see why when INSP’s newest original series, Turquoise Fever makes its television premiere on  Wednesday, August 14th at 9PM ET.  Craig Miller, VP of Original Programming and Development for INSP, made the announcement.

“Turquoise is uniquely identified with the American West, but most people have no idea how it is mined and where it comes from,” said Miller. He continued, “this series follows the Otteson family and their relentless pursuit of some of the most valuable turquoise in the world, often worth more than gold.  In addition to following the triumphs and challenges of this family of everyday heroes, viewers will gain insight into the dangers of mining these rare gemstones and what makes some so expensive.”

Turquoise Fever follows the Ottesons as they battle blistering days and freezing nights, detonate explosives on treacherous slopes, and struggle to pull enough of the sought-after stone from the desert to keep their business going for a fourth generation.

Turquoise Fever is comprised of six episodes.  The concept was created by Silent Crow Arts, and the pilot episode was produced by Essential Media. The series is being produced by Glassman Media.

About INSP

INSP is available nationwide to more than 78M households via Dish Network (channel 259), DirecTV (channel 364), Verizon FiOS (channel 286), AT&T U-verse (channel 564) and more than 2,800 cable systems. 

Sorry for the late posting. I saw a commercial for this late last night. INSP is repeating the first episode for anyone interested.

Honored Contributor

I'd love to see this but don't subscribe to any of those channels

The Ottesons own the Royston Mine in Tonapah, Nv.  I have a lot of turquoise from Royston including a number of unset cabachons I bought directly from the person who mined them.  The Ottesons allow the public to take their buckets and picks into the area and "mine" their own turquoise 

This is a surface mine on the side of a bare mountain.  Otto takes his bulldozer over an area, the the miners scramble to find what he has unearthed.  The weather there is always either windy and freezing cold or hotter than hades.  However, real turquoise enthusiasts are in seventh heaven picking through the dirt for their favorite stone.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I enjoy shows like this. I used to watch another show about gemstone miners called Prospectors. Think it was on the Weather Channel. Thanks for the heads up.

Honored Contributor

@butterfly123 

Thank you!   I have Dish and the next time it runs is Wednesday evening.

While I was scanning upcoming shows, Little House on the Prairie was on....  and I got so interested I had to record the rest of the show!  LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks @butterfly123 for letting us know.  I don't know if I'll watch, but the channel is available on Spectrum (formerly Time Warner).  The next episode is episode 3.  It looks like the first episode is available on You Tube and facebook.  I found out through the INSP link posted.  It looks like this is a reality series ("will they be able to meet their purchase orders"), not a documentary.