Contributor

Turner Classic Movies featuring Bette Davis this month

My favorite actress of all time.  Looks like Tuesday eves are non stop Bette.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Turner Classic Movies featuring Bette Davis this month

[ Edited ]

@laundrycat 

I caught about half of one of my all time favorite BD movies, Jezabell.

I've seen it many times, but I always enjoy it.  All the characters are fab, but Bette in her white tulle dress when she kneels to Pres is one of the best scenes ever.

We've discused it here before, but when her dress billows out around her...she is perfection!  

There were some very early movies on with her early in the day, but I didn't catch them.  She was blonde in early movies. 

Leslie Howard was in one of them, and he was also in Of Human Bondage....a strange movie, indeed!

Trusted Contributor

I taped many of them, especially those with George Brent, made in the early 30s. Love those! There is a fascinating YouTube interview with Bette appearing on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson in her later years, and it is very good. She was very candid about her career, and her perfectionism in approaching her roles. Amazing woman. I always felt she was the best! 

Honored Contributor

Last  night  "The Old Maid" was on. A little soap operay but still great,esp: with BD.

I esp like the one w/ Claude Rains

She did a Peryy Mason and that was just plain awful.. 

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

She and Barbara Stanwyck, just the best!  I think next Tuesday's lineup or the following, will have one of her lesser-known but most interesting films, "Winter Meeting". 

Out of yesterday's schedule, I've seen most of them too many times, too recently, to check in, but we did record "Petrified Forest" and looking forward to that...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I watched for the first time The Great Lie.  In the intro Dave Karger said that BD was unhappy with the script and that she and Mary Astor, changed a lot of it.  MA was excellent and received the Oscar for supportng actress.  

BTW, BD movies are on ALL DAY on Tuesday not just in the evening.  She made a lot of movies!

Honored Contributor

How could I forget Watch on th Rhine? Had read that she insisted that Paul Henreid (sp) share star billing.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

Rosa Moline  where she shoots a possum think it is and tells that old man "I hate possums" something like that.

When that woman in town has one kid after another (probably no choice back then , poor thing) anyway, Rosa says I'm not gonna end up like her with 6 kids I want more out of life.  On and on like that.

that big blonde guy name was David ? anyway, Joan C , of course, was 'friendy' with him.

that Indian maid of hers cracked me up, too. Lazy girl just moved the dust around and cooked slop all the time.

Honored Contributor

My fave movie with Bette Davis is 'The Man Who Came to Dinner'. We have it on DVD and watch it often during the holiday season.

Honored Contributor

All good, but I think TCM has aired most of them enough already, time for a BD break.  How many of us have seen Now Voyager at least 10 times already?