Honored Contributor

Rats, I knew it was on, but had to miss most of it-- again!   In the part I saw, it looked like possibly Rossano Brazzi was interested in Suzanne Pleshette?

Troy Donahue and Suzanne Pleshette were like a pair of perfectly matched racehorses-- just beautiful separately and together.  I adore her, but maybe he was a bit too "moony" for my taste.  Still handsome though! 

Loved Rossano Brazzi as the worthy young Italian in love with jean Peters in "Three Coins in a Fountain", and in the Venetian film with K. Hepburn, was it "Summertime"?

Respected Contributor
Yes, "A Summer Place" be still my heart!
Esteemed Contributor

I will have to check around to see if I can find the documentary about his life.

Also, check YouTube for the song Al Di La from the movie.

I nearly fainted -- and had forgotten it -- haven't any idea what he is saying, but it melted my heart.

Troy:

"Beyond the beyond. That's how much he loves her in this song."

So silly to cry over something like this, but I confess, it made me tearful!

Respected Contributor

Occasionally I still watch the movie A Summer Place, I own it. I have the original Percy Faith album of the title song. 

I remember when Troy Donahue had a small playing role on one of the soaps. I am not sure but I think it was The Edge of Night.

So dear to me is A Summer Place, and the music is wonderful.

Valued Contributor

Susan Slade my very favorite!  It is always amazing to me, how many of my friends never heard of that movie... I was young, but, so in love with Troy Donahue!

may good luck be your friend in whatever you do
and may trouble be always a stranger to you
Honored Contributor

@qvcaddition wrote:

I. Watched a documentary on his life from a heart throb to  just a has been as far as Hollywood was concern.  He had an alternative life style and the same partner for many years. The documentary is called "coming out"  Either on NETFLEX or Prime.  The was also one on just his story.

He and a lot of stars in that era were so classy and beautiful. I grew up in that era, and had a crush on him, Glen Ford,  and some I can,t remember anymore. Rock Hudson.  These men were in the George Clooney category, very handsome.  We were not aware of the alternative life styles in those days, everything was hushed up.  They just got married if the pressure was to great.  Men and women.

IMO, the male actors today can,t compare in looks to that era.  For that matter, neither can the females.  Beautiful and classy.

@qvcaddition After reading your post i went to look up Troy Donahue. It appears that his longtime partner was a woman! A opera singer to be exact.  He wasn't too successful with his marriages which probably had a lot to do with his drug and alcohol abuse. 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor
Fascinated with everything old Hollywood! Researched Troy D.. Interestingly, His marriages lasted 2yrs in SP less than that. His last relationship was with opera singing famous Madame butterfly. She died only 46 lung cancer. Troy graduated from Columbia. He passed away from heart attack 65 yrs old. RIP🌷
Honored Contributor

Tab Hunter was gay, and people often mix the two  of them up

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

Tab Hunter was gay, and people often mix the two  of them up

Netflix Excellent! Documentary with Tab Hunter.
Honored Contributor

@qvcaddition wrote:

I. Watched a documentary on his life from a heart throb to  just a has been as far as Hollywood was concern.  He had an alternative life style and the same partner for many years. The documentary is called "coming out"  Either on NETFLEX or Prime.  The was also one on just his story.

He and a lot of stars in that era were so classy and beautiful. I grew up in that era, and had a crush on him, Glen Ford,  and some I can,t remember anymore. Rock Hudson.  These men were in the George Clooney category, very handsome.  We were not aware of the alternative life styles in those days, everything was hushed up.  They just got married if the pressure was to great.  Men and women.

IMO, the male actors today can,t compare in looks to that era.  For that matter, neither can the females.  Beautiful and classy.

I have to agree, just watch any of the western shows, those men put handsome in the word handsome.  Maverick, Bonanza, Wagon Train etc..... very handsome men.