Honored Contributor

Re: Trailer from new Mr. Rogers movie

I saw some of this trailer this morning.  I think here, I'm in the minority.

First of all, (like many of you) my children grew up with Mr. Rogers.  My middle daughter was obsessed with Mr. Rogers.

I think they should have picked someone other than Tom Hanks to play him.  Tom Hanks is (my opinion people) too closely identified with Forest Gump.

This isn't my thought (I wish it was).  I watch a local TV show on FOX that encompasses mostly the D.C./Virginia and Maryland areas.  They are a group of males and females that I enjoy watching.

Two of the ladies on here made some very valid points just by watching the trailer (along with the rest of us).

I think this movie is going to CONSTANTLY be compared with how good Tom Hanks is in it.  You mark my words....you'll see.  We'll constantly hear how he embodied the 'goodness' that Fred Rogers was and on and on.

What I'm trying to say is that Mr. Rogers' message about kindness and love is going to be lost.  I don't think that would have happened had they picked someone who wasn't as well known as Tom Hanks!

The ladies said (listening to Tom Hanks as Mr. Rogers), (paraphrasing) "All I hear is Forest Gump"....I totally agree with that.

These are my opinions.  I loved watching Fred Rogers on TV.  I loved his message.  I thought he was wonderful.

This would have made a much better made for TV movie.

Taking into account all of the above, it is important to understand this is not a biopic.

Now, more details are available. The film is "not a biopic,” director Marielle Heller told Entertainment Weekly. “I disliked that when it got announced it was characterized as such. It’s really not. It’s a movie that’s largely focused on a reporter and (Mr. Rogers’) relationship to his life, and how (the reporter’s) whole world changes when coming in contact with Fred Rogers.”

You Are My Friend, with its title taken from one of Rogers' signature songs, is inspired by a real-life friendship between Rogers and journalist Tom Junod. Junod is depicted as a cynical scribe who begrudgingly accepts an assignment to write an Esquire profile on the iconic Mr. Rogers. He finds his life-perspective transformed in the process.

And because I believe (when possible) posting where I get my info from:https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/entertainthis/2018/01/29/tom-hanks-mr-rogers/1075815001/

This has been stressed over and over.  THAT's why I doubt if I'll see this movie.  I don't like the way it's from another person's perspective.  THAT's why I think Fred Roger's entire message is going to get lost.

As someone much smarter and wiser (not always the same) once said, "The devil is in the details".

I had to look up that term to make sure I was using it in the correct way...here is an explanation.....

The slang term “the devil is in the details” has a number of different senses. All of the meanings for the term boil down to the fact that it is often the small details of something which make it difficult or challenging. These details can prolong a task, or foil an otherwise straightforward dealing. Like many proverbs which involve the devil, it is meant to sound a note of caution. It may also be used to excuse or explain the obfuscation of an otherwise very simple project or task.

You be the judge after you've seen the movie.

Honored Contributor

Seeing just this trailer was like finding an oasis of the purest water on what is now  parched Earth created by the cruelty and unkindness that have run amok.

Honored Contributor

I saw the trailer when I went to see Once Upon A Time in Hollywood a few days ago, and I honestly couldn't get past Tom Hanks being Tom Hanks rather than Mr. Rogers.  Yes, he was made up to resemble Mr. Rogers (although Hanks is heavier) but I couldn't look past his celebrity as Hanks.

I really do think I'd rather just watch the documentary again about Mr. Rogers which includes film of the real Mr. Rogers as well as interviews from his wife and family and those who worked on the show, rather than this movie. 

Honored Contributor

Thank you for posting the link.  If there were ever a time for a movie of joy, happiness, and kindness its now.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

Seeing just this trailer was like finding an oasis of the purest water on what is now  parched Earth created by the cruelty and unkindness that have run amok.

No truer words were ever spoken,  Thank you, you said it all.

Esteemed Contributor

As a child I loved watching Mr. Rogers, but I don't have any desire to see this movie.  Maybe it's because of Tom Hanks.  I just don't care for him like I used to.