Honored Contributor

Re: Trailer for Downton Abbey airing frequently

[ Edited ]

@Witchy Woman wrote:

I heard the music before I saw what was on the screen, but noted that the trailer is now airing a lot on TV.  I live in the Maryland/DC area.

I always stop to watch it, and it always makes me teary!  As I said before, I know this is a fantasy version of how things were, but, it makes me happy to see those familiar characters.

Love when Lady Mary says to Carson, "I need your help, Carson."  

Anyone going to the theater to see it?

@Witchy Woman   Yes!  I have my tickets already!  Going with a girlfriend when it opens on Friday (9/20) afternoon.  

It's silly but I also get a bit teary when seeing the trailer....the music is so moving and I miss the characters!

ETA:  I'll probably go more than once since I have another friend wants to go for her birthday!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@haddon9 

I guess those of us who get teary-eyed at the music need to "get a life."  Cat LOL

I'm not sure what it is about the tune that is so emotional.  I will have to think more about it.

Last night, PBS was airing past episodes of the TV show and it was the one where Bates is going to be let go.  It was heart-wrenching.  I found myself unable to watch.

Then, in another scene, the Dowager Countess (Violet) is at the dinner table and the conversation turns to working on the weekend....and she turns and asks, "What is a weekend?"  

I just laughed.  She was a real pip and had some of the BEST lines!

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@haddon9 

I guess those of us who get teary-eyed at the music need to "get a life."  Cat LOL

I'm not sure what it is about the tune that is so emotional.  I will have to think more about it.

Last night, PBS was airing past episodes of the TV show and it was the one where Bates is going to be let go.  It was heart-wrenching.  I found myself unable to watch.

Then, in another scene, the Dowager Countess (Violet) is at the dinner table and the conversation turns to doing working on the weekend....and she turns and asks, "What is a weekend?"  

I just laughed.  She was a real pip and had some of the BEST lines!

@Witchy Woman   Of course I remember those scenes!

Whenever I would tell someone who hasn't seen Downton, I would mention the music as so moving in addition to the story, acting, characters, costumes, setting (I would LOVE to visit Highclere Castle!!....for afternoon tea! Smiley Happy )

....I just wish it wouldn't end.

Honored Contributor

I'll bet that when the DVR of this movie is available, they will sell a ton of them !!

Honored Contributor

I plan to see the movie but am wondering if my parents would enjoy it.  They haven't watched the series.  Will the movie build on it, thus some prior knowledge of events and characters is necessary?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ValuSkr wrote:

I plan to see the movie but am wondering if my parents would enjoy it.  They haven't watched the series.  Will the movie build on it, thus some prior knowledge of events and characters is necessary?

I would think the movie will definitely will build on the series but - the movie will center on the King and Queen visiting a Lord’s house (and all the preparations etc.) so I don’t see why they wouldn’t enjoy the movie (without first watching the series).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ValuSkr wrote:

@ValuSkr 

Maybe you could go online and find the PBS writeup ... or something ..... and give them a brief summary of the family members, their servants ....  the characters .....  since you can't be explaining things in the theater.   This has a such large ensemble cast, so even the basics might help them a lot ... JMO

Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr 

If your parents enjoy period movies, I think they will enjoy this.  That's part of my love for movies like this.  The scenery, costumes, language, dining events!  I adore the order and beauty of it.  

As another poster suggested, perhaps you could give them the basics on who's who!

Since it is focused on the Royal visit, I'm not sure how much they will reach back into prior events.

It's been airing on PBS, so perhaps you can find an episode or two.  Or find something online that talks about the film.  Youtube has a lot of videos.

Honored Contributor

I can't wait for  the movie!    Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

I already bought tickets for me and my sister for 4:30 opening day.

The theater has reserved seating, too, so I was able to score our favorite seats.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN