Honored Contributor

Re: Top of the Lake - China Girl -- Wow - what a show!

@just bee wrote:

@AngelPuppy1

I DVR'd China Girl because I watched the 2013 Top of the Lake series.  If you haven't seen that, put it on your list.

I had the Sundance Channel on one morning while I was on the computer, having my morning tea, and when I looked up I started to pay attention and then wondered what it was I was watching.  Got hooked almost instantly.  Wish Sundance would air the original series again.

@just bee

Didn't realize that there were more seasons of this!  I hope I can find them!  Thanks! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I don't have HULU so I am watching it on regular cable, on demand.  I will have to have DH explore more and see what he can find.

I like that there is a lot going on.  The characters are quirky and interesting.  It's hard to follow at times, but it's never dull!  

Trusted Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I don't know if this is an old show or new, but started watching this and it is really intriguing!  Anyone watch?  From what I understand, it is like a mini-series, only a few shows.  I think (not sure) the lead character is Elizabeth Moss.  She plays a detective with tons of emotional baggage.  This is really a fascinating show and at times is hard to follow and understand (English or Australian accents?)  Any how, you might want to take a look.  Another kind of gritty show, but lots of stuff going on!  

The 2013 series was filmed in New Zealand. Is China Girl a new season? I'm a little lost. Thanks.

Honored Contributor

@Vamp wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I don't know if this is an old show or new, but started watching this and it is really intriguing!  Anyone watch?  From what I understand, it is like a mini-series, only a few shows.  I think (not sure) the lead character is Elizabeth Moss.  She plays a detective with tons of emotional baggage.  This is really a fascinating show and at times is hard to follow and understand (English or Australian accents?)  Any how, you might want to take a look.  Another kind of gritty show, but lots of stuff going on!  

The 2013 series was filmed in New Zealand. Is China Girl a new season? I'm a little lost. Thanks.

This was the second season, @Vamp.  I think season one was just called Top of the Lake.  

Honored Contributor

I did not immediately recognize Nicole Kidman. 

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@tansy

I know!!!  She looks bad!  They really aged her, and the skin --- wow!  Oh, and her teeth, too!  She is a great actress though.  

Valued Contributor

@AngelPuppy1

Where can I find Top of the Lake?

Respected Contributor

@tansy wrote:

I read a recap of the episodes & the person who wrote it said the aging makeup & gray wig made Nicole Kidman look like she'd just stepped out of the one of the flash-forwards in the "Six Feet Under" series finale!  It made me chuckle!

Honored Contributor

@aubnwa01 wrote:

@tansy wrote:

I read a recap of the episodes & the person who wrote it said the aging makeup & gray wig made Nicole Kidman look like she'd just stepped out of the one of the flash-forwards in the "Six Feet Under" series finale!  It made me chuckle!

I kind of liked the gray wig on her, compared to her yellow-blond hair, but not the freckles, @aubnwa01.  

Respected Contributor

I did watch all three nights of "Top of the Lake" with Elisabeth Olson and thought it was very good.  I do have a question, however, for someone who did see it:

Who was the young man on the beach buried in sand, only his head shown,  who shot the police constable (the blond woman)?  The camera on his face went by so quickly I wasn't sure who it was.  I'm bummed about that important piece of info.

Thanks to anyone who can tell me.