Valued Contributor

Re: Top of the Lake - China Girl -- Wow - what a show!

I saw the first episode the other day and enjoyed it but I didn't realize it was in it's second season. I saw it advertised on my Hulu so I'm watching season 1 and holding off on season 2.  Both seasons are on Hulu.  The views of the landscape of the town in season 1 are magnificent. Very intriguing show! The mood of the show reminds me of The Killing on Netflix.

Esteemed Contributor

I loved this one @AngelPuppy1.

Is China Girl a separate series?  LM

Valued Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

I loved this one @AngelPuppy1.

Is China Girl a separate series?  LM

It is a separate series ~ you can watch it on Sundance or hulu. 

So glad to see that it's on hulu ~ I was having problems getting the video to play on the Sundance channel (and haven't checked on whether they have an app)

Honored Contributor

@Tsukiko wrote:

I saw the first episode the other day and enjoyed it but I didn't realize it was in it's second season. I saw it advertised on my Hulu so I'm watching season 1 and holding off on season 2.  Both seasons are on Hulu.  The views of the landscape of the town in season 1 are magnificent. Very intriguing show! The mood of the show reminds me of The Killing on Netflix.

@Tsukiko

When I watched the original series (2013), I was ready to rob a bank and move to New Zealand.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I don't know if this is an old show or new, but started watching this and it is really intriguing!  Anyone watch?  From what I understand, it is like a mini-series, only a few shows.  I think (not sure) the lead character is Elizabeth Moss.  She plays a detective with tons of emotional baggage.  This is really a fascinating show and at times is hard to follow and understand (English or Australian accents?)  Any how, you might want to take a look.  Another kind of gritty show, but lots of stuff going on!  

@AngelPuppy1

Thanks for your review. This sounds like a show I would enjoy. I don't have cable but I'm sure I will find the show on my Fire TV Stick!

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@AngelPuppy1

I DVR'd China Girl because I watched the 2013 Top of the Lake series.  If you haven't seen that, put it on your list.

I had the Sundance Channel on one morning while I was on the computer, having my morning tea, and when I looked up I started to pay attention and then wondered what it was I was watching.  Got hooked almost instantly.  Wish Sundance would air the original series again.

@just bee

Thanks! I'll watch the earlier series first.

Honored Contributor

I watched the first season on Sundance and have this series taping on my DVR.  I enjoyed the first season and thought Elizabeth Moss did a great job.  It is a different type show but iwell done and holds my interest.  Sundance has some unusual series, another favorite of mine is Leonard and Hap.  The acting is terrific in both shows.

Respected Contributor

Gwendoline Christie, who plays Brienne of Tarth in Game of Thrones, costars in China Girl. She plays a very different character than Brienne but is brilliant.

Respected Contributor

The way it ended seemed to sort of leave a lot of stuff hanging & to set it up for a new season, so I wonder if they have plans for a 3rd season?

Valued Contributor

Elizabeth Moss was on WWHL last week and said they hadn't committed to a 3rd season yet. Were waiting to see how current season goes.